Board logo

標題: 流行美語-學習美語 普通話 Mp3 下載 [打印本頁]

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 10:29     標題: 流行美語-學習美語 普通話 Mp3 下載

流行美語 第272課

Larry跟李華一起去逛商店。李華今天要學兩個常用語,burn a hole in one's pocket和burned.

LL: Wow, Li Hua - check out this new flat-screen TV! Too bad it's so expensive!

LH: 是啊,現在物價這麼貴,美元又一個勁兒貶值,真不知道還有什麼人願意買這麼貴的電視。

LL: You're right, Li Hua. Spending money on things like that can really burn a hole in your pocket.

LH: 什麼?把我的口袋燒個洞!這可太危險了。你說It can burn a hole in my pocket肯定還有別的意思吧?

LL: You guessed it! The phrase means that an item or expenses such as bills consume a lot of a person's earnings.

LH: 那跟在口袋裡燒個洞有什麼關係呢?

LL: Since money is traditionally carried in our pockets, the saying 'burn a hole in your pocket' symbolizes such high expenses.

LH: 要這麼說,living in the big city can burn a hole in your pocket. 除了電視,還有房租、電費和食物,光是日常花銷就能在「我的口袋裡燒個大洞」。

LL: Well said, Li Hua! If you have the same salary but move to a more expensive city, the daily cost of living can burn a much bigger hole in your pocket than before.

LH: 這就是為什麼花錢要有計劃,不能想買什麼買什麼,否則肯定入不敷出。

LL: Gas prices have climbed to new highs. I only drive to work twice a week to save money, because it was really beginning to burn a serious hole in my pocket.

LH: 最近油價確實貴得嚇人,還好我坐地鐵上班,既省錢又環保。

LL: There are so many things that can potentially burn a hole in your pocket. Expensive habits can really hurt you, which is why I'm glad that I quit smoking.

LH: 是啊,你戒煙一年省的錢夠加好幾箱油的!

LL: Soaring gas prices and cigarette taxes were burning such a big hole in my pocket that I basically gave up driving and smoking!

LH: 你知道還有什麼花銷最多嗎?

LL: Let' me guess. Going out to eat!

LH: 沒錯!跟朋友、同事、家人出去吃飯也是一筆不小的開銷。

LH: 說起現在的開銷。我前兩天出去看房子,才發現這裡的房價原來這麼貴!

LL: It really is! Didn't you want to continue renting?

LH: 我本來也是要繼續租公寓住的,可是,說來話長。

LL: What happened? Did you get burned?

LH: Get burned? 被燒傷?

LL: 'Getting burned' is when you commit to something or personally invest in something with your emotions or money and you basically get nothing in return.

LH: 噢,getting burned是吃虧的意思啊。那真讓你說著了。我跟另外兩個人一起簽了約,結果她們最後一刻反悔了。

LL: Did you put down a deposit?

LH: 我交了兩個月的租金,其中一半是押金,結果因為違約,押金沒要回來? I definitely got burned!

LL: That's terrible! Did the two other roommates have another option, or did they end up getting burned, too?

LH: 那兩個人的押金也沒要回來。但是她們決定一起到另外一個地方去租房子,起碼她們還有個伴兒。

LL: So, they kind of burned themselves on violating the terms of the contract, but you were burned worse because what happened was a result of their actions and not yours.

LH: 沒錯。她們自己反悔,押金被扣還說得過去,我可是被她們連累的。

LL: It sounds like you know what 'getting burned' means. Now the next step is ensuring that it doesn't happen again! Did you learn any lessons from getting burned?

LH: 要說教訓,那就是,下次一定不能輕信別人。這就是為什麼我在四處看房子,我準備咬咬牙,自己買個公寓。

LL: Well, it looks like you've got it figured out. Hopefully you won't burn a hole in your pocket for a price.

LH: (Laughing) 聽上來真滑稽。我為了下次不再吃虧上當,寧可準備傾囊而出,自己花錢去買個公寓。

LL: I know. You will probably end up burning a hole in your pocket so that you don't get burned again. How ironic!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是burn a hole in one's pocket, 指價格昂貴。另一個是 burned, 指吃虧上當。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa272.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-9-19 02:08 編輯 ]
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 10:30     標題: 271

Larry跟李華一起吃中飯,他發現李華心情很糟糕。李華今天要學兩個常用語,glum和chum.

LL: Hey, Li Hua. You haven't eaten any of your food. Why so glum?

LH: 如果你說的glum, 是沮喪的意思,那沒錯,我這兩天心情確實很糟糕。

LL: Yes, glum means sad. So, what's wrong?

LH: 我上星期去面試,本來以為那家公司肯定會要我,結果他們卻選擇了別人,害得我這兩天一點兒食慾也沒有。 Glum可以用來形容我現在的情況嗎?

LL: Yes, but I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. We use the word 'glum' when we are sad and disappointed about something, but not something extremely serious, such as a death in the family.

LH: 我知道了,glum是用來形容情緒低落或是失望,但如果是特別嚴重的事情,就不能用glum了。這兩天煩心事太多,老天爺也不幫忙,連著這麼多天的陰雨天氣。

LL: Don't worry - this will all pass eventually. Everybody gets glum at times.

LH: 你呢Larry? 有什麼事會讓你心煩意亂嗎?

LL: Well, rainy days can definitely have an effect on me, but I'd have to say that beating the gloominess is more important than what makes me feel glum.

LH: 要想換個好心情可沒那麼容易,有人吃東西會感覺好起來,可是食物對我不起作用。

LL: Well, a lot of times, people resort to things or people they can count on when they're glum. For instance, I take a walk and listen to my favorite music, but I do this on my own. Others prefer to confide in friends and family.

LH: 我就是;我往往會向朋友傾訴,或是看電視轉移一下注意力,不過你說的出去走走,聽聽音樂好像也不錯,而且還可以鍛練身體。

LL: That's true! I never thought of that! Maybe I should run and listen to music the next time I'm glum.

LH: (Laughing)只要能讓心情好起來就行!跟你說說我感覺好多了,胃口也好起來了。不好,這飯菜都涼了,我得讓他們幫我熱熱。(To waiter) Excuse me - do you mind heating this up for me? Thanks!

LH: 我以前聽別人說,"Why so glum, chum." 就是問別人為什麼看上去心情很不好的意思吧?

LL: Oh yes! We use that when we are asking a friend, 'hey, what's wrong.' 'Chum' means 'friend' or 'buddy,' especially when one male is speaking to another male. It's very informal.

LH: 哦,一般是男孩子之間說的,chum就是哥們兒,兄弟的意思。

LL: We say it this way because it rhymes, and it's intended to cheer people up!

LH: Why so glum, chum. 確實押韻。你知道嗎Larry, 我真的很喜歡這次沒有被錄用的那份工作,我事先準備了好幾個小時呢。

LL: So tell me what went wrong. Maybe if we talk about it you won't be so glum.

LH: 我當時特別緊張,可能是話太多了。我到得很準時,還帶去了自己的簡歷和推薦信,現在回想起來,可能是顯得太想得到那份工作了。

LL: Were you friendly with the people who were interviewing you? Were you all 'chummy' with them?

LH: 我跟他們很客氣。你說的"chummy"是拉近乎的意思嗎?

LL: Yes. It depends. Some interviewers like that, and others don't. A lot of it can depend on personality.

LH: 那Larry, 我們一起吃午飯,你幫我排解鬱悶的心情,那咱們倆兒算不算是"acting chummy"呢?

LL: Good question. Since we are already friends, our friendliness comes naturally. Being 'chummy' is somewhat artificial, because it's between two people who don't know each other that well. So, we're not being 'chummy.'

LH: 所以說chummy是指本來不熟的人,好像顯得關係很好,那用在咱們這種老朋友的身上,就不合適了。

LL: That's right. So, did you act chummy with the interviewer?

LH: 要這麼說,我跟面試的人還真沒有acting chummy. 我沒有像老朋友那樣,把自己的事情告訴他。Actually, he looked quite glum.

LL: It's a good thing you didn't say, 'why so glum, chum?' I don't think that would have helped you get the job!

LH: (Laughing)沒錯!你可真厲害,Larry, 被你這麼一說,我的胃口馬上就好起來了。我真得好好謝謝你!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是glum, 指情緒低落。另一個是chum, 指好朋友。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa271.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-9-19 02:10 編輯 ]
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 11:14     標題: 270

李華告訴Larry說,情人節那天,她班上的一個男生收到了很多女孩子送的花。李華今天要學兩個常用語,heartthrob和gaga.

LL: So, this student walked into your classroom on Valentine's Day and THREE different girls gave him flowers? He must be the campus heartthrob.

LH: 如果你說的heartthrob, 是指讓人迷戀的對象,那沒錯,他可以校園名人,學校裡喜歡他的女孩子一大堆。

LL: A heartthrob is a male that is adored by women. Someone who is a heartthrob, literally makes women's hearts throb.

LH: 這種說法真形象!讓人心跳的男人就是heartthrob. 送花的那三個女生迷他迷得不行,我真擔心會影響到她們的成績。

LL: What makes this heartthrob so attractive to these girls? Is he handsome? Is he friendly? Is he a good student? Is he an athlete?

LH: 他確實各方面都很出眾,不僅長得一表人才,而且很隨和、學習成績優秀,而且還是校隊橄欖球隊的隊長。

LL: Well, it is no wonder he is such a heart throb. He sounds like the perfect guy.

LH: 差不多吧。不過還是不如布拉德.皮特完美。Brad Pitt is a real heart throb.

LL: You are not the first woman who has told me Brad Pitt is the perfect man. I guess I don't understand why he is such a heart throb.

LH: 這有什麼難理解的。(Dreamily)你看他那金髮碧眼,他的微笑能讓人溶化,還有他的身材和肌肉....

LL: Okay, okay. That's enough, Li Hua. I get it! I understand why Brad Pitt is such a heartthrob.

LH: 對不起,Larry,一提起Brad Pitt,我就無法控制自己。

LL: So, Brad Pitt is a big heartthrob in America. How about in China? Who is the biggest Chinese heart throb?

LH: 那可能要算香港的電影影星劉德華了。

LL: I have heard of Andy Lau. Isn't he too old to be a heart throb?

LH: 年輕的也有,不過我已經趕不少潮流了。

LL: Well, it must be hard to be a heartthrob with girls following you everywhere. I'm glad I don't have that problem. I mean, I'm not much of a heartthrob.

LH: 肯定有什麼女孩子為你心動的,你不知道罷了。

LL: So, let's talk about these girls in your class some more, Li Hua. When they go gaga over this heart throb in class, what do you do to get their attention?

LH: Gaga是什麼意思?聽起來不像英文啊?

LL: Gaga is, in fact, a French world borrowed into English, Li Hua. "Gaga" is a word that suggests some one who is mentally confused or silly.

LH: 我班上那幾個女孩子可都是好學生,她們的腦子可沒問題。

LL: "To *go* gaga" means to like something so much that you act like an idiot. It means you can't think of anything else besides the thing you are "gaga" over.

LH: 噢,to go gaga是被弄得暈頭轉向的意思。要是這麼說,I guess the girls do go gaga over him.

LL: What about the boy students in your class? Is there a girl in class that they go gaga over?

LH: 我們班上倒是沒有什麼特別招人的女生,但是學校裡所有男生都圍著啦啦隊的女孩子們轉。

LL: Well, cheerleaders are usually very attractive and physically fit. It's no wonder guys go gaga for cheer leaders.

LH: 那你呢,Larry? 有什麼人讓你暈頭轉向的嗎?

LL: Well, Li Hua, I'm not really dating any one right now, so there is no one I am really gaga over, but there is something I'm really gaga for.

LH: 什麼東西讓你gaga for?

LL: I'm really gaga for computers. I think working with computers is so interesting, and I love playing computer games.

LH: 我對電腦可沒興趣。每天坐在電腦前面寫論文,我恨不得離電腦遠遠的。

LL: Well, what do you go gaga over, Li Hua?

LH: 我呀,喜歡看八卦雜誌,瞭解像Brad Pitt這些明星的最新動向。

LL: We're back to Brad Pitt again?! Fine. You can go gaga over Brad Pitt, Li Hua. I'll stick with my computer.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是heartthrob, 指讓人心動的男人。另一個是gaga, 指被什麼人或是什麼事弄得暈頭轉向。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa270.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 11:18     標題: 第269課

李華告訴Larry說,經常有學生上課時間用手機。李華今天要學兩個常用語,texting和txt tlk.

LL: So, Li Hua, your students won't stop using their cell phones in class? That is so rude! It is really impolite to be texting when you professor is giving a lecture.

LH: 你說的texting想必就是text messaging發短信的意思吧?

LL: Yes, Li Hua, texting is short for text messaging. And have to say I think it is rude for students to text in class.

LH: 我也覺得在課堂上發短信是對老師的不尊重,所以我今天宣佈,上課時間手機一律要關機。

LL: That's a good class policy, Li Hua. I hope your students show you some respect and stop texting in class.

LH: 我也希望他們上課不要再發短信了。可是我那些學生好像隨時隨地都在發短信。

LL: Yeah, a lot of young people do. I read a news report the other day that several states in the U.S. are thinking of banning teens from texting while driving a car.

LH: 什麼?有些高中生開車的時候都在發短信?太危險了!

LL: I know. I can't believe it myself. I can't imagine holding on to the steering wheel with one hand and texting with the other.

LH: 一手握著方向盤,一手發短信,還要注意周圍的路況。這簡直不可能。

LL: I agree. Texting while driving is a bad idea. Actually, Li Hua, I don't text very often, do you?

LH: 我有時會跟中國的朋友發短信聯絡,因為他們覺得這樣可以練習英語。

LL: Texting to practice English is a great idea! But as for me, I'd rather call my friends and talk to them than text them.

LH: 我覺得這跟年紀有關。我媽就從來不發短信,我雖然有時發,但跟我的學生比,可差遠了。

LL: That's true. Say, how have your students reacted to your new "No Texting" policy?

LH: 他們有點不高興,但也知道上課發短信是不對的。

LL: So, Li Hua, what will you do if you catch someone texting in class now?

LH: 這簡單。被抓住上課發短信的,手機一律沒收,下課來取。

LL: Whoa! I bet no one will be texting in your class again, Li Hua.

LL: So, Li Hua, since you text to your friends in China, have you learned about text talk?

LH: 我也是剛知道text talk是怎麼回事的。簡而言之,text talk是一種特殊的短信語言,為了提高打字速度,對一些詞進行簡化。

LL: Right! Text talk is a language, and it has its own set of rules.

LH: 我的學生都是這方面的專家,我從他們那兒學到了不少text talk的規則.

LL: Really, Li Hua? Maybe you can teach me about text talk. As you know, I don't text very often.

LH: 首先,打字的時候儘可能把元音字母省略掉。

LL: Like Text Talk is shortened to TXT TLK.

LH: 沒錯。把 Text, t-e-x-t中間的e省掉,變成t-x-t; 再把 talk, t-a-l-k中間的a省掉,變成t-l-k.

LL: But even with the missing letters, you can still understand text talk, because your brain fills them in.

LH: 對啊,看習慣了就好了。我最喜歡的是用數字替代字母。

LL: Can you give me an example, Li Hua?

LH: 比如說,打see you later一會兒見的時候,later, l-a-t-e-r, 就可以打成L-8-R,發音非常相近。

LL: L-8-R for "later" is very clever. I bet the "See You" part is also shortened in text talk.

LH: 沒錯。一般發短信的時候,see you可以簡寫為字母c加上字母u, 發音完全一樣,也是C-U.

LL: Mm, see you later, C-U L-8-R. Text talk is so funny, Li Hua! It makes me want to laugh out loud.

LH: 你提醒我了,在text talk裡面,如果要寫laugh out loud, 可以用三個首寫字母L-O-L來表達。

LL: So, if I text L-O-L, my friend will know that I find something so funny it makes me want to laugh out loud?

LH: 沒錯。L-O-L在短信裡,就代表laugh out loud, 意思是看到了非常好笑的事情。哎呀,說得高興忘了時間,I've got to go. C-U L-8-R! See you later, Larry!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是texting, 指發短信。另一個是txt tlk, 是短信語言中使用縮略語。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa269.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 11:26     標題: 第268課

Larry 和李華一起看奧斯卡頒獎典禮。李華今天要學兩個常用語,Glitz和Fashion Risk.

LL: Wow! I just love watching the Oscar Awards show, Li Hua. There is nothing quite as wonderful as the glitz of Hollywood.

LH: 我也特別喜歡看奧斯卡。不過Larry, 你剛才說glitz of Hollywood, glitz是什麼意思啊?

LL: Glitz generally refers to a spectacular visual display of glamour and wealth.

LH: 我每年看奧斯卡,最喜歡的就是看那些電影明星都穿些什麼式樣的晚禮服,戴什麼首飾。所以說,glitz就是光彩照人、讓人眼花繚亂的意思。

LL: Most of the glitz of the Oscars Award Show is what the actors and actresses are wearing. People enjoy deciding which stars at the Oscars are the best dressed, and which are the worst.

LH: Larry, 那你覺得今年誰穿得最漂亮,誰又穿得最難看呢?

LL: Well, I haven't really decided yet, because we haven't finished watching the show. But I would have to say what Nicole Kidman is wearing is just too glitzy for my tastes.

LH: Glitzy 肯定是從glitz來的。 妮可.基德曼Nicole Kidman穿的是一條很高雅、線條很簡單的黑裙子,怎麼會過於奢華呢?

LL: Well, it isn't Nicole Kidman's dress that is so glitzy, it is the *huge* diamond necklace that she is wearing with it.

LH: 這我同意。她戴的鑽石項鏈確實太醒目了。不過,這是好萊塢盛會,本來就是如此奢華的。

LL: Sure, but sometimes I think there is too much glitz! What about you, Li Hua? Who did you think is the best dressed?

LH: 那當然是喬治.克魯尼George Clooney嘍!不過,男明星跟女明星比起來,可就遜色多了。

LL: The female stars really get to put on the glitz with their colorful gowns in different styles and their jewelry.

(Music)

LH: Larry, 你看,這是今年我最喜歡的電影主題曲,真希望這首歌能贏。

LL: I liked this song, too. Wow, they didn't cut back on the glitz for this musical number. Look at all the dancers and the special lighting effects.

LH: 太棒了!I love the glitz of Hollywood!

LL: Well, I am glad you are enjoying it, Li Hua, because the Oscars Award Show is very, very long. I think we still have at least three more hours of glitz!

LL: So, now the Oscars are almost over. Which star do you think took the biggest fashion risk tonight, Li Hua?

LH: Fashion risk? 時尚冒險?哦,我知道了,你是說哪個明星穿著大膽,冒著可能不被別人接受的風險,對吧?

LL: Yes, that's right, Li Hua. A fashion risk is when someone wears something bold and dramatic, hoping that the people will think it is very stylish.

LH: 如果這種大膽嚐試不符合觀眾和媒體的口味呢?

LL: If a star wears something unfashionable tonight at the Oscar Awards Show, it will be in all the newspapers and all over the Internet tomorrow.

LH: 我覺得,在《漢娜.蒙塔娜》裡演主角的小明星麥莉.賽勒斯的穿著最有可能引起爭論。你覺得呢?

LL: I'll agree it was a bit of a fashion risk for someone so young to wear such a bright red dress, but I don't think she was the biggest fashion-risk taker at the Oscars tonight.

LH: 那你覺得是誰呢?

LL: I can't remember her name. But - you can't forget the dress she wore, the one with the leopard print design. Now that's taking a fashion risk!

LH: 我也記得那條像豹子斑點的裙子。雖然有些別出心裁,但她穿上去挺好看的,不知道時裝評論家明天會怎麼說。

LL: Well, I don't see how the critics could like that dress. But then again, what do I know? I'm not much of a fashion risk-taker myself.

LH: 對啊,你每天就是襯衫和休閒褲,從來也不換換花樣。

LL: That's right. The biggest fashion risk I take is when I decide that I am going to wear a striped shirt instead of a plain one!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是Glitz, 指光彩照人,讓人眼花繚亂。另一個是 fashion risk, 指穿著大膽,挑戰時尚。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa268.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 11:34     標題: 流行美语 第267课

Larry和李華正在談論李華的一個學生。這個學生經常在李華辦公時間去找她問問題,下課也喜歡多待一會兒再走。李華今天要學兩個常用語,puppy's Love和teacher's Pet.

LL: So, Li Hua, you say this student of yours always comes to your office hours and stays after class to talk with you? It sounds like your student has a case of puppy love to me!

LH: Puppy love? 小狗跟我的學生有什麼關係呢?

LL: As you know, Li Hua, puppies are very loyal and will follow their masters anywhere. We say a younger person who idolizes an older person has a case of puppy love.

LH: 噢,puppy Love是指年輕人的暗戀。照你這麼說,我這個學生對我可能還真有puppy love. 我該怎麼處理呢?

LL: Puppy love is usually harmless, Li Hua. I think as long as you remain professional, your student will eventually grow out of his puppy love.

LH: 你是說我要裝做沒有察覺,等他自己放棄這段感情?你還挺懂行的。Have you ever had a case of puppy love?

LL: Sure, I have, Li Hua. Puppy love is pretty common. I had a French teacher in high school who I really liked a lot. I stayed after class for extra help and was active in the French Club so I could spend more time with her.

LH: 我真難想像你會下課不走問問題,甚至還去參加法語俱樂部,就是為了接近你的法語老師。她知道你暗戀她嗎?

LL: I wouldn't be surprised if she did know. I probably wasn't the first student she had with a case of puppy love.

LH: 後來呢?

LL: She just treated me like all the other students. She was friendly and pleasant and didn't call attention to my behavior. Eventually, I grew out of my puppy love.

LH: 所以說,她對你跟其他學生一樣,假裝沒有看出你的感情。這個老師處理得還真是不錯。

LL: Yes, she did, and I really respect her for it now that I am older. What about you, Li Hua? Have you ever had a case of puppy love?

LH: 現在提起來,我也曾經有過一段puppy love.

LL: Really, Li Hua? Who were you in puppy love with?

LH: 我上學的時候私下裡喜歡美術老師。他年輕瀟灑,充滿了創造力。不過跟你一樣,I grew out of my puppy love when I got older.

LL: And I am sure your student will grow out of his puppy love, too.

LH: 謝謝你,Larry, 現在我知道該怎麼對待那個學生了。

LL: So, I have a question for you, Li Hua. Do you have a teacher's pet?

LH: 寵物?Larry, 你知道我養貓啊。

LL: Right, you do have a cat, Li Hua, but a teacher's pet is something a little different. A teacher's pet is her favorite student.

LH: 哦,a teacher's pet是說我最喜歡的學生。Hmm....我有好幾個不錯的學生,但沒有一個最喜歡的。

LL: I can't believe you don't have a teacher's pet, Li Hua. Surely, there is one student who is better than the rest.

LH: 倒是有個叫John的學生,成績一直是A,上課很積極,如果要說teacher's pet, 那恐怕就是他了。

LL: So, John is your teacher's pet. You said he is helpful in class - that is so typical of a teacher's pet. What kinds of things does he do?

LH: 他經常主動幫我收、發作業,有時候還幫我擦黑板。

LL: Oh, Li Hua, John is absolutely your teacher's pet! You better be careful. The other students may realize it and come to resent John.

LH: 你是說其他學生如果發現John是teacher's pet, 就會妒忌他嗎?

LL: That's right. I never was a teacher's pet myself, but I did know other students who were teacher's pets.

LH: 那你對那些同學有什麼看法呢?

LL: I was jealous of them and the attention they received from the teacher, and I found them annoying. I bet you were a teacher's pet, Li Hua.

LH: 你怎麼知道的!我絕對是teacher's pet, 老師可喜歡我了。

LL: So, I just have one more question for you, Li Hua. Is John, your teacher's pet, the same student who has a case of puppy love for you?

LH: 不是。暗戀我的學生不是John, 你別瞎猜!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是puppy Love, 指年輕人的暗戀。另一個是teacher's pet, 指老師最喜歡的學生。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa267.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 12:09     標題: 266

美式足球超級杯那天,Larry要在家開party, 李華幫他做準備。李華今天要學兩個常用語,munchies和spread.

LL: I'm really excited about having a Super Bowl party, Li Hua. I just went to the store and bought lots of munchies, so we will have plenty to eat while we watch the football game.

LH: Munchies? 讓我看看?(翻塑料袋的聲音)。薯條、花生、開心果,I don't see anything called "munchies."

LL: Munchies is a general word for snacks or things to "munch" on, Li Hua. When watching a football game, I love to eat munchies like chips and pretzels.

LH: 噢,原來munchies是零食的意思!有不鹹的嗎?

LL: Yes, Li Hua, I do. In the refrigerator, I have some other munchies that I've prepared. I also made a vegetable tray and some sour cream dip.

LH: Wow, 你準備了這麼多東西! 看超級杯原來這麼重要啊!

LL: Watching the Super Bowl is something many Americans look forward to all year. And part of the fun is inviting friends over to watch the game and share some munchies.

LH: 這跟中國球迷看足球世界盃差不多。他們也是圍著電視機,邊吃邊看,熱鬧極了。

LL: Every body loves munchies. Speaking of munchies, are you hungry, Li Hua?

LH: 我確實有點兒餓了,不過我不想把這些零食打開,我們還是等客人都到了再說吧!

LL: Oh, don't worry about it, Li Hua. There are plenty of munchies. Go ahead and open what you like.

LH: 那好,我先吃點花生,我最愛吃花生了。

LL: I've got a bad case of the munchies, too, Li Hua. But instead of peanuts, I think I'll munch on some potato chips.

LH: A *case* of the munchies? 你拿的明明是一帶零食啊!

LL: When I said I have a case of the munchies, I meant I was really hungry for snacks.

LH: Well, I guess I have a case of the munchies, too, Larry. 這些花生真是太好吃了。

LL: The trouble with munchies is that once you start eating them - it is hard to stop.

LH: 那我們還是忍忍吧,可別把這些零食都吃完了,否則一會兒看球賽的時候就沒的吃了。

LL: Thanks for helping me put out the food, Li Hua. I hope this is enough of a spread for the Super Bowl party.

LH: Enough of a spread? 這又是什麼意思啊?你是說足夠大家吃的吧?

LL: A spread does refer to food, Li Hua - and specifically food set out on a table for a party. And the goal is to have lots of food!

LH: 你準備的可真夠豐盛的,That's quite a spread, Larry. 你看,有薯條、花生、開心果、蔬菜、飲料、啤酒,真是應有盡有。

LL: Well, when one puts together a spread, Li Hua, you not only want there to be lots of food, but you also want the spread to look good.

LH: 所以說,spread不光是要準備充足的食物,還要擺放得整齊好看,讓人看了賞心悅目?

LL: That's right. Like for this spread, I put the snacks in nice bowls, arranged the vegetables so they look attractive, and got these festive football napkins and cups.

LH: 太棒了,Larry。我知道,你這一桌子食物,從盤子到紙杯,到餐巾紙,都跟橄欖球有關,最適合超級杯的party了.

LL: Thanks, Li Hua. I'm glad you like it.

LH: Larry, 你準備這一桌子東西要花很多錢嗎?

LL: This spread wasn't very expensive. But I have been to parties where the hosts clearly spent a lot of money on gourmet foods and expensive wines.

LH: 我還記得去年到市中心的一家大飯店去參加春節聯歡活動。They had quite a spread!

LL: I bet it was some spread. You know how much I like Chinese food.

LH: 那明年咱們一起去,你可以親眼看看!

LL: While the spread I put together isn't as fancy as that, I just hope my friends will enjoy it.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是munchies, 是零食的意思。另一個是spread, 指豐盛的食物。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa266.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 12:11     標題: 265

Larry開車接李華去看醫生,路上堵車遲到了。李華今天要學兩個常用語,meltdown和make up.

LL: I'm really sorry I am late, Li Hua. But there is no need for you to have a meltdown about it.

LH: (生氣地)如果meltdown是生氣的意思,那沒錯,I am having a meltdown.

LL: (Sheepishly) Well, Li Hua, perhaps now isn't the best time for an English lesson, but a meltdown is an excessively emotional response to a disappointment or a crisis.

LH: (還是有點生氣)meltdown是融化的意思,跟遇到挫敗或是危機,情緒過分激動有什麼關係呢?

LL: Well, the term meltdown refers to the melting of the core of a nuclear reactor. When that happens, the nuclear reactor becomes unstable and may explode.

LH: 噢,原來是從核反應堆來的。Well, I guess I did have a meltdown. 你今天遲到,我確實很生氣。

LL: I must say, it is very unlike you to have a meltdown. You are usually so calm and understanding.

LH: 我生氣可是有理由的。你遲到了不是一會兒,而是整整半個小時。看來我去看醫生也要遲到了。

LL: I understand why you had a meltdown, Li Hua. But honestly, there is nothing I could do about it. You know how unpredictable the traffic is in New York City.

LH: 也是,我剛才太急了,沒有給你解釋的機會。你在路上遇到什麼狀況了嗎?

LL: Well, there was a car accident that blocked traffic for a long time. It wasn't very serious accident, but when the two drivers got out of their cars, there was a total meltdown in communication.

LH: 你為什麼說這兩個司機之間發生了total meltdown呢?

LL: Well, one driver was really angry. He was all red in the face and was yelling loudly. I could tell he was having a meltdown.

LH: 啊,臉紅脖子粗的大吵大鬧,真是夠嚇人的。那另外一個司機呢?他們倆沒打起來吧?

LL: The other driver ended up having a meltdown, too - but in a different way. When the first driver started yelling at her, she started to cry.

LH: 原來還是個女的,真可憐。警察來了嗎?

LL: By the time the police arrived, the two drivers had recovered from their meltdowns and were calm. The police officers were very professional.

LH: 還好最後得到了圓滿解決,最重要的是沒有人受傷。對不起,Larry,我剛才不問青紅皂白就對你大發脾氣。

LL: Don't worry about it, Li Hua. Everyone has a meltdown every once in a while.

LL: Well, after that meltdown, don't you think it is time for you and me to make up, Li Hua?

LH: Make up? 吵完架為什麼要化妝呢?

LL: No, no. To "Make Up" means to get back to being friends after a fight.

LH: 我已經向你道歉,你也接受了,這就等於是和好了吧?

LL: Yes, I think we have made up. We are still friends, right, Li Hua?

LH: 我們當然是朋友,你也知道,我不會真跟你生氣的。I am glad we've made up. 真希望Janet也能跟她的男朋友Tom和好。他們上星期吵架,到現在都不說話。Janet痛苦極了。

LL: Well, sometimes it is hard to make up with some one - especially when the argument is over something serious or someone is really stubborn and won't listen to the other person.

LH: Janet倒並不固執,她很想跟Tom和好,可是Tom好像沒有和好的意思。他們是因為Tom跟另外一個女孩子很接近才吵架的。

LL: Hmmm...Well, if Tom hasn't tried to make up with Janet in a week, maybe he is more interested in that other girl.

LH: Larry, 快別說了,我們還得趕去看醫生呢!

LL: Don't have another meltdown, Li Hua. I'll get you to the doctor's appointment. I think it was worth taking the time to make up and be friends again, don't you, Li Hua?

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是meltdown, 是情緒過分激動的意思。另一個是make up, 是和好的意思。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa265.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 12:37     標題: 264

李華週末來看Larry。李華今天要學兩個常用語,goof around和go halvsies.

LL: It sure is nice to see you, Li Hua. But, honestly I've got so many things I have to do right now. I've just goofed around all weekend and haven't gotten anything done.

LH: You goofed around? 這是什麼意思啊?

LL: To "goof around" means to not do the things you are supposed to do. And I really didn't do what I was supposed to this weekend.

LH: 噢,原來goof around是游手好閒,不務正業的意思。那你有什麼該做的事情沒有做呢?

LL: I was supposed to do my laundry, dust and vacuum my apartment, mop my kitchen floor, and clean my bathroom. But because I goofed around, I didn't do any of the cleaning I needed to do.

LH: 洗衣服、還要打掃房間、擦地板,這麼多事啊!那你這兩天都幹了些什麼呢?

LL: Instead of doing my housework, I watched movies on TV, talked to friends on the phone, and played computer games.

LH: You really did goof around. 又是看電影,又是打遊戲的。難道你父母沒有告訴過你,只有做完正事以後才能玩嗎?

LL: They certainly did, Li Hua. But after a full week of work, I really didn't feel like doing my house cleaning. In fact, I didn't want to do much else besides goof around.

LH: 這我能理解,大家週末都想好好放鬆一下,不過也不能整個週末都這樣無所事事啊。

LL: I know you are right, Li Hua. The weekend is really the only time I have to make sure my apartment is clean and that I have clean clothes.

LH: 現在可倒好,已經星期天晚上了,你明天上班有乾淨衣服穿嗎!

LL: Well, then I've goofed around enough! I really need to do my laundry, Li Hua. So if you don't mind, I am going to get to work.

LH: 我本來想和你出去看場電影,喝杯咖啡的,現在全泡湯了。

LL: Yeah, I am sorry, Li Hua. You shouldn't have to go home, because I goofed around.

LH: 這樣好了,我們商量商量,我可以幫你一起打掃房間。

LL: And then afterwards, we could still go for a cup of coffee.

LL: I have a proposal for you, Li Hua. How about we go halvsies on my housework?

LH: Go halvsies,那又是什麼意思啊?

LL: To "go halvsies" is to split something in half. In this case, I was hoping you could do half of my housework.

LH: 哎誰讓你是我朋友呢!我願意幫你干一半的家務。可是我們怎麼分擔呢?

LL: We can go halvsies by me doing the laundry and cleaning the bathroom, and you mopping the kitchen and doing the dusting and vacuuming.

LH: 等等,我得寫下來,免得你反悔。你說你負責洗衣服和打掃廁所,我負責拖廚房的地板和吸塵。這麼多事情,幹完肯定累死了。那我們到時候可以出去吃東西。

LL: Well, rather than go out to eat, let's go halvsies on ordering a pizza for delivery.

LH: 你是說咱倆各出一半的錢,點個比薩回來吃?好啊,我同意!

LL: Great! If we go halvsies on ordering a pizza for delivery right to the apartment, we will still have a lot of time. I'll call the pizza place. How many pizzas should I order?

LH: 我不是特別餓,點個大號的,就應該夠咱倆吃的了。

LL: Okay, then one pizza it is. I'll also order a bottle of soda, and we can go halvsies on that, too.

LH: 汽水?好啊,不過都是你的,我可不想喝。

LL: How about dessert? We can go halvsies on some cookies or a pie?

LH: 我有個更好的主意。與其吃餅乾,不如我們幹完活一起去吃冰激凌吧,也算是慰勞一下自己。

LL: Good idea! After we finish working, we can go halvsies on some ice cream.

LH: 我可沒說要跟你分,整個冰激凌都是我一個人的!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是goof around, 是消磨時間,不務正業的意思。另一個是go halvsies, 是一人一半的意思。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa264.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 12:39     標題: 263

李華在學校租了一塊花圃,讓Larry來幫忙。李華今天要學兩個常用語,get into和grubby.

LL: I think it is great that you have rented a garden plot, Li Hua, but I don't think I can really get into gardening.

LH: You don't think you can "get into" gardening, Larry? 相信我,一點都不難,你只要跟我一起去,進了花圃就行了。Then you will be in the garden.

LL: Well, I may be in the garden, but that doesn't mean I'll get into gardening. To "get into" something means to really like something or to enjoy doing something.

LH: 噢,原來你說的get into是喜歡的意思。那你說you don't think you can get into gardening。意思就是說你不u會喜歡上園藝了?

LL: Right. I am sorry, Li Hua, because I know how much you get into gardening.

LH: 不過,你起碼應該試試看啊!

LL: Okay, Li Hua. I'll try it. Maybe I'll learn why you have gotten into gardening.

LH: 我喜歡園藝完全是因為我媽。我們小時候,她總是在家裏的院子裡種很多菜。

LL: That sounds nice. Fresh grown vegetables are so much better than the ones in the grocery store.

LH: 那你呢,Larry? What do you get into?

LL: Oh, you know me, Li Hua. I love computers. You know I really get into video games. I could play video games all day long.

LH: 我永遠搞不懂你為什麼那麼喜歡打電玩,我覺得打電玩很吵,而且打久了會很累。

LL: Well, every body gets into different things. You get into gardening, and I get into video games.

LH: 那也是。還有,我喜歡布魯斯,你喜歡搖滾樂。

LL: Yes, and while you can't understand how I can get into video games, Li Hua, I have never understood why you get into blues music. How can you listen to blues music? It just makes me sad.

LH: 我喜歡布魯斯的節奏和歌手的嗓音。但是我從來無法欣賞搖滾樂。簡直吵死了。

LL: I wonder if there is something we can both get into.

LH: 我有個主意。We can both "get into" the car, 到花圃去。

LL: "Get into" the car. Very funny, Li Hua!

(Outdoor sounds, Larry and Li Hua are at the garden)

LL: I should have brought some garden gloves. My hands are getting all grubby from digging in the dirt.

LH: Grubby? 我猜grubby肯定是髒的意思。你的手還真是夠髒的。

LL: Grubby does mean dirty. Li Hua, my hands are so grubby, I've got dirt under my fingernails. Yuck!

LH: 真沒想到你還挺愛乾淨。別忘了,園藝一半的樂趣就在於渾身上下沾滿泥土。

LL: Well, maybe you think so, Li Hua. I'm just glad I wore some grubby, old clothes. Look how grubby the knees of my pants are!

LH: 別抱怨了!在園圃裡幹活難免是要弄髒的。

LL: Okay, then I'll stop complaining about being grubby. But, doesn't it bother you, Li Hua?

LH: 不會啊,我喜歡這樣。Why don't you like getting grubby, Larry?

LL: I don't think it is that unusual that I don't like getting grubby, Li Hua. But I haven't always been this way.

LH: 你以前不是這樣?那你是什麼樣子呢?

LL: Oh, when I was a kid, I used to play outside all the time. I would come home grubby from head to toe!

LH: 從頭到腳都是土? 那你媽媽肯定不高興。

LL: No, after I came home from a day of playing outside, she would take me by my grubby little hand and take me straight to the bath tub.

LH: 好了,Larry. 今天就干到這吧,你看見那個工具房了嗎?

LL: Grubby old tool shed? Oh, yes, I see it.

LH: 你能幫我把這些工具和這個桶放到那裏收好嗎?

LL: Sure, not a problem, Li Hua!

LH: 謝謝你,Larry. I hope you didn't mind getting grubby too much.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是get into, 是喜歡的意思。另一個是grubby, 是髒的意思。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa263.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-9-18 12:41     標題: 262

李華和Larry一起去附近一家新開的中國餐館吃自助餐。李華今天要學兩個常用語:yum和yuck.

LL: There is so much good food at this buffet, Li Hua. I can't wait to eat some of those spring rolls. Yum!

LH: 你說yum,那你肯定很喜歡吃春卷!因為我知道,yum在英語裡就是可口,好吃的意思。

LL: Hey, Li Hua, you are right! Where did you learn about the word "Yum"?

LH: 我前不久跟一幫美國朋友去吃pizza,其中一個人剛咬第一口,就大喊yum!他說自己最愛吃的東西就是pizza.

LL: Well, I really enjoy eating spring rolls - especially when they are fresh. And these spring rolls look especially tasty. What makes you say "Yum!", Li Hua?

LH: 我最愛吃的菜是魚香茄子,想想都會流口水。Yum!

LL: Well, I am afraid eggplant is not one of my favorites, Li Hua. I don't find eggplant dishes to be very yummy.

LH: Yummy肯定是從yum來的吧!

LL: Right! Yummy is used to describe a thing - Like yummy spring rolls or yummy eggplant.

LH: 所以yummy是形容詞,yum則是發感慨的時候說的。

LL: Speaking of being about to eat, let's take our plates over to the table and enjoy this yummy food.

LH: 對啊,我們得趕緊吃,吃完第一盤,馬上再回來拿,你看他們正在上龍蝦呢! Yum!

LL: But don't fill up too much, Li Hua. You'll want to save room for dessert. The almond cookies look especially yummy.

LH: 杏仁酥看起來確實比紅豆麵包好,那些紅豆麵包看起來好像不太新鮮的樣子。

LL: Well, I think most of the food here is yummy. What do you think, Li Hua?

LH: 跟其他中國餐館比,味道確實還不錯。

LL: But - is it as yummy as the food you used to eat back home in China?

LH: 這裡的飯菜當然沒辦法跟我媽做的飯比了!

LL: What's that on your plate, Li Hua? Is it a snake? Yuck!

LH: 我如果沒有理解錯的話,這個yuck一定是yum的反義詞吧?你覺得吃蛇肉很噁心嗎?

LL: Right again, Li Hua. Yuck is an exclamation of disgust. And I am sorry, but I find the idea of eating a snake disgusting.

LH: 我可不是故意要噁心你。不瞞你說,蛇肉可好吃了,而且在美國,你想吃到蛇肉可不容易。剛才你說yuck的樣子,突然間讓我想起了我第一次吃奶酪的感覺。

LL: Cheese? Cheese makes you say "Yuck!", Li Hua? What's wrong with cheese anyway?

LH: 中國人做飯不用奶酪,以前我在中國的時候也沒吃過。 可是美國人都很能吃奶酪。我到美國後,第一次吃奶酪的時候,簡直難以下嚥。 Yuck! 那種感覺,現在還記憶猶新。

LL: That is interesting. Actually, Li Hua, there are some kinds of cheese that I find pretty yucky, too.

LH: Yucky? Yucky肯定又是從yuck來的!就好像yummy是從yum來的一樣。

LL: Yucky is used to describe disgusting things. In this case, I was talking about disgusting cheeses. I find blue cheese to be especially yucky.

LH: 你也有不愛吃的奶酪?我是從來沒有嚐過blue cheese, 可是如果連你都覺得yucky的話,那我也就不用嚐了。

LL: I don't blame you, Li Hua. No one should have to eat something that yucky.

LH: Larry, 你拿的魚香茄子怎麼也沒吃啊?不好吃嗎?你不會覺得魚香茄子也yucky吧!

LL: I think I told you earlier, Li Hua, that I don't find eggplant to be very yummy. In fact, I do think it is pretty yucky.

LH: 既然覺得魚香茄子難吃,那你幹嘛還要拿呢?

LL: You told me fish fragrant eggplant was your favorite dish, Li Hua. So even though I think eggplant is yucky, I thought I should still try it.

LH: 這就證明,一個人覺得yummy的食物,換個人完全可能會覺得yucky. Larry, 我看你呀,還是去吃春卷吧!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是yum或yummy, 是指食物可口好吃的意思。另一個是yuck或yucky, 是指食物難吃,難以下嚥。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa262.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-1 11:08     標題: 261

Larry患了重感冒,李華帶著雞湯去看他。李華今天要學兩個常用語,blah和bounce back.

LL: Hi, Li Hua, it is so nice to see you. I just wish I didn't feel so blah.

LH: Blah? 你得的不是感冒嗎?

LL: I do have a cold, Li Hua. But "blah" is a word that describes how you feel when you have a cold or are sick - Blah is the feeling you have when you are really tired and have no energy.

LH: 我知道了,blah是不舒服,生病時渾身乏力的意思。

LL: That's right, Li Hua. I certainly wish I didn't feel so blah. I haven't been able to sleep very well with this runny nose and cough... (Cough, cough)

LH: 你好可憐。我知道睡不好覺的感覺。別說感冒了,就是平時,睡不好覺我都會覺得blah.

LL: Yeah, I've got a pretty good case of the blahs. I don't feel like doing much of anything.

LH: 我給你熬了點兒雞湯,或許你喝了會感覺好一些。

LL: Thanks, Li Hua. Mmmm...This soup is great, Li Hua. It has a lot of flavor - not like my mom's soup. Sometimes her soup can be a little blah.

LH: 你媽的湯怎麼會是blah? 我以為blah不是指渾身乏力嗎?

LL: You can also use blah to talk about a thing. When referring to a thing, blah means something that isn't very good or interesting.

LH: 你是說你媽熬的湯沒味啊。你沒當著她的面說過吧?

LL: Actually, I have. My mom's blah cooking is a joke in my family. My mom really doesn't like spicy food, so many dishes she cooks are very blah.

LH: 還好你沒覺得我的湯也是blah. 你現在感覺怎麼樣?

LL: I'm feeling a little less blah, thanks to you, Li Hua. So, how has your day been, anyway?

LH: 沒什麼新鮮的。外面又濕又冷,我一直在家裏批論文。I've been having a blah day.

LL: Say, have you had some of the soup you brought, Li Hua? It is just the thing to cheer you up when you are having a blah day!

LL: Now that I've had a nice bowl of hot soup, Li Hua, all I need to bounce back is a good night's sleep.

LH: 你要bounce back彈回來,那一定得有張蹦蹦床羅。

LL: Ha, ha. That's funny, Li Hua. While you can bounce on a trampoline, to "bounce back" means to recover from something. In this case, I am looking forward to bouncing back from this cold.

LH: 原來你說的bounce back是復原的意思。只要你多吃多睡,用不了多少時間,就會像原來一樣生龍活虎。

LL: I am expecting to bounce back in a day or two. Then I will head back to work.

LH: 幸好你只是感冒。你知道我的一個學生得了肺炎。

LL: Wow! One of your students has pneumonia? That is a pretty serious illness. It will take several weeks before he will be able to bounce back.

LH: 還有,我另外一個學生上星期剛剛割了闌尾。I don't expect he'll be bouncing back very quickly either.

LL: You are right. It takes more time to bounce back from surgery or an injury than it does from a little cold.

LH: 真希望生病不會影響到他們的成績。

LL: If they are good students and work hard, I am sure they will bounce right back from a few bad grades.

LH: 有時候,遇到讓人失望的事情也很難重新振作起來。

LL: That's true. It took my Uncle Bob a long time to bounce back from his divorce.

LH: 那你叔叔Bob離婚後是怎麼重新振作起來的呢?

LL: Well, he stayed very positive through the whole experience, and instead of thinking about the divorce, he put his energy into spending time with his children and doing things he enjoyed. That really helped him bounce back.

LH: 保持積極的態度、多跟家人在一起,做喜歡做的事情。Larry, 這些真是好建議。

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是blah, 指全身乏力或是沒滋沒味。另一個是bounce back, 指恢復過來。
[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa261.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-1 11:39     標題: 260

Larry和李華去朋友Frank家參加新年派對。李華今天要學兩個常用語,dead和happening.

LL: Gosh, there is hardly any one here, Li Hua. This party is really dead!

LH: Larry. 這裡每個人明明都活得好好的,你為什麼說the party is dead呢?

LL: Well, because there aren't very many people here, there isn't much conversation and laughter. When a party isn't lively, we say it is DEAD. And this party is dead.

LH: 噢,你是說這個party不熱鬧,了無生氣啊。現在時間還早,也許一會兒就熱鬧起來了。

LL: I hope so. Speaking of places being dead today, I went into work for a little bit to get some things from my desk. There was no one in the office - it was completely dead.

LH: 那當然了,今天是除夕,沒有什麼人會去辦公室的。

LL: I guess the college campus must be dead now, too.

LH: 不光是今天,期終考試結束後,學生們都回家過年了。The campus has been dead for two weeks.

LL: So, Li Hua, do you mind being on campus when it is dead like it is now?

LH: 確實有點孤單,不過人少也有人少的好處。比方說,圖書館裡就特別安靜。

LL: Oh, I bet the library is completely dead! I mean, who would be studying over the break?

LH: 我啊!不過你說的沒錯,校園裡確實沒有什麼人,可是停車特別方便。

LL: I know what you mean about the convenience. This year I made sure to do my Christmas shopping at a time when the shopping mall was really dead.

LH: 聖誕購物季節,商店裡到處都是人。I cannot imagine a mall being dead during the holidays.

LL: I went early on Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Since most people work during those times, it was pretty dead at the mall.

LH: 這倒是個好辦法,可以避開購物的人群,不用跟別人擠來擠去的。

LL: That's right, Li Hua. Hey, look, the party isn't so dead any more! Some more people have shown up, and the music has started.

LH: The party isn't dead at all. 你想去跳舞嗎?

LL: Sure, I'd love to dance, Li Hua. Now the party is really happening!

LH: 如果我沒猜錯得話,Happening是dead的反義詞吧?

LL: You are right, Li Hua. It is the opposite of a "dead" party. A happening party is one that is lively and exciting - and where lots of different things are happening.

LH: 是啊,這個party好像一下子就熱鬧起來了。

LL: Frank has done a good job. It is because of parties like this that I love the holidays. Christmas and New Year's are such happening times of the year.

LH: 就是啊,新年聖誕確實熱鬧,大家都跟親朋好友在一起,不過我也很喜歡春天和夏天。

LL: Why do you like spring and summer, Li Hua?

LH: 放春假和暑假我可以到外地去,visit some more happening places.

LL: I can't imagine a more happening place than New York City. I mean here in New York there is always something going on!

LH: 紐約確實很熱鬧,可是美國還有其他熱鬧的地方啊。

LL: I suppose that is true. I've heard San Francisco has a very happening art scene.

LH: 我就很想去舊金山看看。還有,我還特別喜歡美國的布魯斯音樂,所以很想到孟菲斯去。

LL: I don't know, Li Hua. I visited Memphis once, and I didn't think it was a very happening place. But then again, I am not a fan of Blues music.

LH: 貓王的雅園就在孟菲斯。我一直想去看看。我想,他當年在雅園一定開過很多熱鬧的派對。

LL: Elvis was famous for his wild parties. Look, the party is really happening now.

LH: Come on, Larry. 我們去跳舞吧,這麼熱鬧的party, 我可不想就站在這兒。Let's go have some fun!

LL: Okay, Li Hua! Now this is my idea of a happening time!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是dead, 指了無生氣。另一個是happening,指非常熱鬧。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa260.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-10-13 14:46 編輯 ]
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-12 23:49     標題: 259

李華在幫彼得森教授看孩子。她急著打電話給Larry求助。李華今天要學兩個常用語,pee and poo和handful.

LH: Hi, Larry, this is Li Hua. 你能告訴我pee and poo是什麼意思嗎?

LL: Sure, Li Hua, but first you have to tell me why you need to know what pee and poo means.

LH: 我今天幫彼得森教授看孩子。他一直跟我說I need to pee and poo, 可我又不懂是什麼意思。

LL: (Laughs) I remember Professor Jones' little boy - his name is Scottie, right? What Scottie is trying to tell you by saying he needs to pee and poo', Li Hua, is that he needs to go to the bathroom.

LH: 哦,原來Scottie是要上廁所啊!你等一下,我馬上帶他去。

LL: It's no problem, Li Hua. Scottie is only two years old, and he may need some help going pee and poo.

(Flushing sound)

LH: 好了!原來pee是上小號,poo是上大號的意思啊。沒想到,我今天跟個兩歲的小孩學了個新詞。

LL: Scottie is a very good teacher, isn't he? I have to tell you, Li Hua, dealing with pee and poo is one of the reasons I don't want to have children.

LH: 就因為小孩要pee and poo, 你就不想要小孩?等你有了自己的孩子,可能就不會嫌小孩子pee and poo噁心了。

LL: That may be so, but I think I'll just settle for a dog instead.

LH: 養狗?可是狗也要pee and poo啊。

LL: But a dog goes pee and poo outside. It seems a lot easier to deal with than changing diapers.

LH: 即使是在戶外,你不是也得把狗的poo收拾乾淨嗎?否則鄰居一定會對你有意見的。

LL: Then maybe I'll just have house plants. They don't pee or poo.

(Child's laughter and flushing sounds)

LL: It sounds like Scottie might be playing with the toilet, Li Hua. Boy, little Scottie is a real handful, isn't he?

LH: Scottie確實是在玩抽水馬桶。不過,他可不是一隻手就能抱起來的。他已經兩歲多了。我兩隻手抱他都費勁。

LL: By saying Scottie is a handful, I wasn't talking about his size. I meant that he was behaving in a way that is wild and hard to handle and that he is keeping you very busy.

LH: 噢,你是說Scottie調皮啊。哎,你再等一下,我得去制止Scottie. (To Scottie) Come on, Scottie, let go watch some cartoons. (To Larry) 好了,卡通片肯定能讓他安靜一會。

LL: So, has Scottie been a handful all day, Li Hua? It sounds like babysitting him has been a lot of work.

LH: 確實挺累的。不過兩歲的孩子可能都是handfuls, 他們剛學會走路,對什麼都好奇,但是又分不清對錯。

LL: So, you are saying you don't think Scottie is any more of a handful than any other two-year-old.

LH: That's right, Larry. 我敢打賭,你小的時候一定也很淘氣。

LL: Yeah, my mom tells all sorts of stories about how I was a real handful when I was little boy.

LH: 我能想像你小時候調皮的樣子。你都幹過什麼壞事啊?

LL: Well, my mom tells me that once I got out a box of crayons and drew a rainbow on the wall of our kitchen. Then there was the time I brought a frog with me into bed.

LH: 你用蠟筆在廚房的牆上畫彩虹?還把青蛙帶上床?You really were a handful, Larry.

LL: Okay, I've admitted I was a handful when I was a kid. Now, what about you Li Hua?

LH: 我?我媽說我小時候可乖了。I was never a handful.

LL: I should have known! (More children's laughter) Hey, what is the little handful doing now?

LH: Uh-oh! Scottie拿著廁所裡的手紙在客廳裡到處跑,現在滿地都是手紙。我得趕緊去收拾,不能跟你講電話了。

LL: Well, Li Hua, you better go and deal with Scottie. What a handful! Talk to you later!

天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是pee and poo, 指小孩子上廁所。另一個是handful, 是指小孩子很淘氣。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa259.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-12 23:50     標題: 258

李華告訴Larry說,她想多賺點錢,買機票回中國探親。李華今天要學兩個常用語:bread和nest egg.

LH: Larry, 我想回中國看看我父母。I need to make some more bread.

LL: You need to make more bread? I know you aren't a baker, Li Hua, so you must have learned that bread is slang for money.

LH: 沒錯。那天我聽一個朋友說,他要跟父母借點錢,因為he was short on bread,缺錢花了。

LL: Well, Li Hua, how about you? Can you borrow some bread from your parents for a plane ticket home?

LH: 去中國的機票可貴了,我父母可出不起機票錢。要想回家,我唯一的辦法就是再出去兼一份差。

LL: Well, with the Christmas holidays coming up, there will be many opportunities for you to earn some bread.

LH: 是啊,快過節了,很多商店都需要人手,找份活兒應該不難。

LL: I wouldn't think so, but if you do have trouble, I can always loan you some bread.

LH: 謝謝你,Larry. 但是不到迫不得已,我還是希望自己想辦法。

LL: Okay, I understand. So, Li Hua, have you thought about where you might want to work?

LH: 我想到百貨商店去打工,雖然那裏的工作沒太大的意思,但是I'd really only be doing it for the bread.

LL: I think a department store is a good choice for you. Who knows? You may even be able to pay for your plane ticket to China and save a little bread.

LH: 我也是這麼希望的。我教中文的工資實在是不多,總覺得錢不夠花。

LL: Well, I am very lucky to have my job at the architect's office. Right now, I am bringing in a good amount of bread.

LH: 你的錢都花在什麼地方呢?

LL: Well, I spend a lot on monthly expenses, but I also try to save some bread every month and, if possible, invest it.

LH: 投資?看來你還挺有經濟頭腦的,Larry.

LL: Saving is important, Li Hua. I am trying to build a nest egg so that I can buy a house some day.

LH: 你要建一個窩裡的蛋?(開玩笑地說)那你什麼時候變成小鳥啊?

LL: (Laughs) No, no, Li Hua. A "Nest Egg" is a term for money put away in reserve for some special purpose - like getting married, buying a house, or retiring.

LH: 窩裡的蛋怎麼會指為結婚買房子存的錢呢?

LL: Well, as I understand it, a "nest egg" was originally a fake egg placed in a nest to attract birds to lay more eggs. By putting aside money as a nest egg, you hope it will grow and make more money.

LH: 噢,我明白了,窩裡的蛋原來指的是假蛋,放在那裏騙家禽多生蛋的,用來指錢,就好像是中文裡說的錢生錢的意思,放在銀行定期存款裡就是個辦法。

LL: Yes, my parents have done this. But, they have also invested some of their nest egg in the stock market.

LH: 投資股市可有風險,我就聽說過很多老年人投資股市,結果賠得一乾二淨。

LL: It can be, but my parents aren't investing in the stock market on their own. They have an investment company that is helping them manage their nest egg.

LH: 那就好,等我開始在百貨商店打工了,I hope I'll have a nest egg, too.

LL: Well, I am building a nest egg to someday buy a house - What about you, Li Hua? What is your nest egg for?

LH: 我先得存點錢應急,萬一哪天車壞了或是生一場大病,手裡有錢心裏就踏實多了。

LL: That's a good plan. My older brother wants to build a nest egg for his children.

LH: Wait a minute, Larry. 你哥哥不是沒孩子嗎?

LL: You are right, Li Hua, but he has recently gotten married, and he and his wife want to have children. They will need to have a big nest egg for that!

LH: 是啊,養孩子真的需要很多錢,特別是大學學費,做父母的確實需要提前做好準備。

LL: Yes, they won't just need a chicken-sized nest egg - they'll need an ostrich-sized nest egg!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是bread, 指錢。另一個是nest egg, 是存下來的錢。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa258.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-12 23:51     標題: 257

Larry去李華家吃飯。他告訴李華說,自己今天特別倒霉。李華今天要學兩個常用語:nightmare和group hug.

LL: I had the worst day at work today. It was an absolute nightmare!

LH: 上班做惡夢?Larry, 你可要小心點兒,上班睡覺是要被老闆炒魷魚的!

LL: No, no. I didn't HAVE a nightmare at work...Being at work today was LIKE a nightmare.

LH: 噢,你是說今天上班很痛苦,就像是做了一場惡夢啊,聽起來挺嚇人的。

LL: It wasn't so much scary as it was unpleasant. Any situation that is really bad or unpleasant can be called a nightmare - even a really angry person can be a nightmare.

LH: 我知道了,nightmare是指令人不愉快的人或者事。那你今天上班出什麼事了?

LL: It all started with my boss. He is usually a nice guy, but today he was really angry with his staff - me, included. He was a total nightmare.

LH: 我記得你老闆人挺隨和的,今天怎麼會突然發脾氣呢?

LL: Well, he wasn't happy that we hadn't finished a project by the deadline. When he came into the office this morning, he told everyone we better have it finished by the end of the day - or he was going to become our worst nightmare!

LH: Your worst nightmare? Yikes! 你們不是一直都在趕著完成那個項目嗎?老闆這麼生氣,大家一定很沮喪吧?

LL: That is exactly what happened, Li Hua. After work, my day didn't get better. On my way over to your house, the traffic was a nightmare.

LH: 我也從新聞裡看到堵車的消息了。你今天可真夠倒霉的。我特別理解你現在的心情,還記得我博士生資格考試那天嗎?

LL: I do remember. As I recall that day was a total nightmare for you.

LH: 是呀,我當時論文打到一半,電腦突然死機了。What a nightmare.

LL: But the nightmare turned out okay in the end, didn't it?

LH: 我只好從頭再來。還好,我的論文最後還是得了優秀。

LL: Then maybe my nightmare will have a good ending, too.

LL: You know, Li Hua, when my co-workers and me were feeling down after the boss yelled at us, we had a "Group Hug" and all felt better.

LH: A "group hug"? 在辦公室裡集體擁抱?

LL: Well, I know it sounds kind of strange, but sometimes when a group of people or a team is down and they need to cheer themselves up they have a "group hug."

LH: 你的意思是,大家情緒低落的時候,group hug一下,感覺就會好起來?

LL: Well, after my boss left and everyone was feeling down, one of my co-workers said aloud, "Group Hug!" We all stood up, hugged in a circle one time, and then felt much better.

LH: 真有意思,group hug能讓你們提高工作效率嗎?

LL: It really did. The group hug reduced the tension, and we all were able to get back to working on the project.

LH: 我可以在我的中文課上試試看。中文很難學,所以學生們有時會因為進步慢而感到氣餒。

LL: A "group hug" could help lighten the mood in class, especially after a really hard test.

LH: Larry, group hug是怎麼做的呢?

LL: Well, usually someone says, "Group Hug" or "Let's have a group hug." Then the group forms a circle and each participant puts their arms over their neighbors' shoulders.

LH: 大家站成一圈,胳膊搭在旁邊人的肩膀上,是這樣嗎?那下次我發考卷的時候,如果學生們考得不好,我就可以說,不要灰心,Let's have a group hug.

LL: Yes, that's it! In my family, when my brothers and sisters would have an argument, my mom would say, ''Let's stop fighting and have a group hug.'' It was like magic - we'd all stop fighting.

LH: Larry, 我知道你今天情緒不好,但是我們兩個人不能說是group hug吧?

LL: No, you are right, Li Hua. To have a true group hug, you need three or more people. But I'd be happy with just a regular hug from you, Li Hua!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是nightmare, 是令人不愉快的人或事。另一個是 group hug,是集體擁抱。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa257.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-12 23:53     標題: 256

Larry和李華正在商量下個週末去哪裏玩兒。李華今天要學兩個常用語outdoorsy和artsy.

LL: Hey, Li Hua, do you remember how much fun we had camping in the woods? Wouldn't you like to do something outdoorsy again this weekend?

LH: Do something outdoorsy? 你是說戶外活動吧。

LL: That's right! But "doing something outdoorsy" doesn't just mean to do something outside, though. Playing basketball or badminton outside isn't really outdoorsy.

LH: 在戶外打球都不算outdoorsy, 那什麼才算呢?

LL: Well, outdoorsy activities - like fishing, hunting, hiking, camping and canoeing - are ones that you do in natural settings, such as in a forest or near a river.

LH: 哦,我知道了,就是一定要到野外才行,在公園裡和運動場上還算不上是outdoorsy.

LL: That's it. So - what do you say, do you want to do something outdoorsy this weekend, Li Hua?

LH: 上次去宿營確實挺開心的,咱們這次幹點兒什麼別?

LL: Well, you know me, Li Hua. I'm a very outdoorsy kind of guy. How about we go canoeing?

LH: 划獨木舟啊。聽起來挺過癮的,可我有點兒怕。

LL: Don't worry. I can teach you how to paddle a canoe. You don't have to be an outdoorsy person to learn how to do it.

LH: 可是獨木舟那麼窄,翻了怎麼辦啊,我可不會游泳。有沒有不那麼危險的野外活動呢?

LL: Oh, that is right. I forgot you can't swim very well. Okay...What other outdoorsy things might you like to do?

LH: 有了!我們到紐約州的山裡去遠足吧!

LL: Perfect. And I can borrow a backpack from one of my outdoorsy friends. That way we can bring food, water and other supplies we might need.

LH: Okay. 那我要做些什麼準備呢?

LL: In addition to a backpack, you are going to need a good pair of hiking boots. I know a place that specializes in all sorts of outdoorsy stuff. We can get the boots there.

LH: 好,那你陪我去買。也許你能把我改造成一個喜歡野外活動的人呢!

LL: I don't think buying hiking boots will turn you into an outdoorsy person, Li Hua. I think you are really more of an artsy person.

LH: Arsty...喜歡野外活動的人可以說outdoorsy, 那說一個人 arsty肯定是說她喜歡藝術嘍?

LL: Exactly! "Artsy" people enjoy appreciating and making all kinds of art - painting, drama and music.

LH: 那我就是個 arsty的人。我喜歡繪畫、音樂和裝飾。

LL: You are definitely artsy, Li Hua. I've always been impressed with your calligraphy.

LH: 哦,我小時候我學過很長時間的書法;我父母都喜歡藝術,對我學習繪畫和書法很支持。

LL: My family isn't very artsy. My parents were always interested in sports and really encouraged me and my brother and sister to get involved in athletic activities.

LH: 你姑姑呢?她看上去好像很arsty.

LL: Oh, Aunt Jane? You are right, Li Hua, she is VERY artsy. Aunt Jane is artsy in almost every way.

LH: 對呀,從她的服飾就能看得出來。

LL: Yes, and not only are her clothes artsy, but her entire house is artsy, too. She loves to decorate her rooms in very interesting ways.

LH: 我在中國有個朋友,也特別喜歡藝術,可是跟你姑姑不一樣。

LL: How so?

LH: 他穿得特別簡單,但是酷愛鋼琴,每天要花好幾個小時練琴。

LL: I guess there are many different kinds of artsy people. What they have in common is their love of art.

LH: 你呢,Larry, 要不跟我學書法吧,我保證把你變成一個喜歡藝術的人。

LL: That's a generous offer, Li Hua. But I'm afraid there is a reason why I am an outdoorsy person and not an artsy person! I'll leave the calligraphy to you!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語.一個是outdoorsy, 是喜歡野外活動的人.另一個是arsty,是喜歡藝術的人。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa256.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: napoleonlun    時間: 2008-10-15 00:42

Thank You@.@!
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-16 21:32     標題: 254

Larry和李華在紐約參加長跑比賽。李華今天要學兩個常用語,eat my dust和sore loser.

LL: It's a good thing you've been training for this race, Li Hua. But you are still going to eat my dust.

LH: Eat your dust? Yuck. 吃你的土?這是什麼意思啊!

LL: When someone says ''eat my dust," they are saying to their competitors in a race situation that they are confident they are going to win the race, leaving everyone else far behind.

LH: 贏比賽跟讓別人吃土又有什麼關係呢?

LL: Well, when you run, you kick up dust from the road. So, if I run very fast and you are behind me, you'll be getting my dust in your face - and eating my dust.

LH: 噢,我明白了,跑在前面的人掀起的塵土,會落在後麵人的臉上,原來是從這兒來的。不過,Larry, 我為今天的比賽已經訓練兩個多月了,也許你會eat my dust呢!

LL: But I've been running for years, and I've been in many races. And most of the time, the other runners end up eating my dust.

LH: 那也許你能像環法自行車大賽七連冠阿姆斯特朗一樣,讓其他人都ate his dust.

LL: Now that I think about it, Li Hua, I prefer to think of myself as the cheetah of the running world. As the fastest animal on land, all the other animals eat the cheetah's dust.

LH: 你還真自信!大話說出來,可千萬別落在別人後面噢。

LL: Actually, Li Hua. I am just joking. I'm not really the cheetah of the running world. There are so many runners in this race, I am pretty sure I will be eating someone else's dust.

LH: 輸贏並不重要,重在參與嘛!

LL: You are right, Li Hua. And since this is a race for charity, it doesn't matter if you eat my dust - or I eat yours. In the end, everybody wins.

LH: 對呀,比賽收益全都要用來幫助無家可歸的人。Okay, Larry. 準備好,你要eat my dust了!

LL: Whew! That was a great race. Even though I didn't place, I'm pretty happy about my overall time. I'm just disappointed by the guy who placed second - what a sore loser!

LH: Hmmm...得第二名的那個人好像特別不高興,又跺腳,又揮拳頭,嘴裡還罵罵咧咧的。你說,這就叫sore loser嗎?

LL: Yes, He clenched his fists and stomped around, saying things that weren't very nice. That is a sore loser!

LH: 在中文裡,我們說這種人輸不起。

LL: But I don't know why he was being such a sore loser, to place second out of the hundreds of people participating in the race should be something to celebrate.

LH: 就是啊。我要是得了第二名,一定樂死了。這種輸不起的人,讓所有人都覺得掃興。

LL: It's true. Do you remember when you were a kid, Li Hua - and you were playing a game? If one of the kids started acting like a sore loser, the game wasn't so fun anymore.

LH: 我當然記得。小孩子都不願意輸。我有個外甥,一輸就哭鼻子。

LL: Yeah, but most people grow up and become adults - and grow out of being sore losers.

LH: 但是有的人就是長不大,我就見過很多sore loser.

LL: That is true. I'm trying really hard not to be a sore loser myself.

LH: 你怎麼會是sore loser呢?

LL: Well, I am kind of embarrassed that you beat me in the race, Li Hua. Especially since I told you that you were going to eat my dust. But I am not going to be a sore loser - I'm proud of you and how well you did in the race.

LH: 噢,原來是因為這個。謝謝你,Larry, 我確實花了很多時間為這次比賽做準備。

LL: Say, maybe we should celebrate the outcome by racing over to the ice cream store for an ice cream cone!

LH: 好啊!但是你肯定會eat my dust, 你知道我一見冰激凌就沒命了。

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是eat my dust, 是輸給我的意思。另一個是sore loser, 是指輸不起的人。

[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa254.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-10-16 21:34     標題: 253

Larry和李華在咖啡店裡買咖啡。李華今天要學兩個常用語,newbie和been around.

LL: Wow, it seems to be taking a long time for this guy to get our coffee made. Maybe he is a newbie.

LH: A newbie? 你說他是新來的?

LL: Right. A newbie is someone that is new to a place, activity or organization.

LH: 你說得對,他肯定是新手,好像連咖啡機還用不好呢!

LL: It is like this new guy in my office. He just started work the day before yesterday. He doesn't know where anything is.

LH: 初來乍到是最困難的時候,Larry, 你一定要幫幫這個新同事。

LL: I have been helping him, and he's doing pretty well for a newbie. He is clearly very bright and has picked up on a lot of things very quickly.

LH: 我們的咖啡來了,我們找地兒坐吧。

LL: MMMmmm...It may have taken him a while to make the coffee, but the newbie did a good job. This coffee is great!

LH: 你看,有時候對新手就是要有耐心。我還記得剛開始教中文的時候,樣樣東西都要學。

LL: What did you find the most difficult about being a newbie Chinese teacher, Li Hua?

LH: 當初最讓我頭痛的就是安排課堂活動,我總是掌握不好各項活動的時間長短。

LL: Yeah, when I was a newbie, I remember having to learn where everything was in the office and who was responsible for which aspects of my job. . .Say, Li Hua, I want to show you something on my lap top.

(Takes out lap top)

LH: 是新的電腦遊戲嗎?

LL: Yes, it is a fantasy role-playing game where you pretend to be a warrior or a wizard and run around attacking people and collecting treasure. I've just started the game, so I am kind of a newbie.

LH: 這裡面好像還有其他人,他們也是newbies嗎?

LL: No, some people have been playing the game for a long time. Their characters are very experienced, and they have fun attacking and stealing treasure from the newbies.

LH: 那你肯定也是被這些老手欺負的對象嘍?我是不會玩電腦遊戲,也沒興趣。

LL: You should try it, Li Hua. It is a lot of fun to play computer games, and it gets more fun when you aren't a newbie any more.

LH: 還是算了吧,在電腦遊戲上面,我寧願做個newbie.

LL: Well, when it comes to computer games, I've been around - if you know what I mean, Li Hua.

LH: "Been around"? 我還真不知道這是什麼意思。

LL: "Been around" means to have lots of experience doing something. It is actually short for a longer expression...

LH: 我想起來了。說什麼人特別老道,就是"He has been around the block."

LL: That's right! We shorten it to ''been around,'' but it basically means the same thing.

LH: 所以你說自己''have been around.'' 就是說你打過很多電腦遊戲嘍?

LL: That's right. I started playing computer games when I was seven years old, and I still play computer games.

LH: 對了,Larry, 我一直想問你,聽說你妹妹有新男朋友了?

LL: Yes, she is dating a new guy. But I'm a little concerned. I think this guy has been around. He is much older than my sister.

LH: 有經驗不見得是壞事啊!

LL: Well, he has been around, but not in a good way. I think he has dated a lot of girls and may not be as serious about my sister as she is about him.

LH: 你是怕他不當真,讓你妹妹傷心吧。那你妹妹呢?她有沒有交過很多男朋友?

LL: No, not really. She is still very young. I wish she would wait until she has been around a bit before deciding she wants to get engaged to this guy.

LH: 別著急,Larry, 你妹妹絕頂聰明,她肯定能做出正確的選擇。你要相信她!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是newbie, 是新手的意思。另一個是been around, 是老手的意思。
[rm]http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa253.m3u[/rm]
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: tmingw    時間: 2008-11-23 01:23

thanks¡
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-12-13 08:11     標題: 251

Larry告訴李華說,他正在給公司做一個大項目,忙得連飯都沒時間吃。李華今天要學兩個常用語,snarf和power nap.

LL: I've been so busy with this project, Li Hua, I've hardly had any time to eat. Today I just snarfed down a sandwich at lunch, and I haven't eaten anything since.

LH: 你只吃了個三明治?snarf也是吃的意思嗎?

LL: Snarf is another word for eat, Li Hua, but when you snarf something you eat it really quickly in a very short amount of time.

LH: 噢,snarf是狼吞虎嚥的意思。你是因為要趕項目,沒時間吃飯,所以才匆忙地吃了個三明治。

LL: Yeah. And when I snarfed down the sandwich, I didn't really enjoy it. I ate it so fast I didn't even really taste it.

LH: 有時候我趕著寫論文或是判作業,沒時間吃飯,也會湊合著只吃幾口炒飯填飽肚子。

LL: You know, since I haven't had anything to eat since I snarfed down that sandwich, I am feeling hungry again.

LH: Larry, 我這兒有盒餅乾,你先吃幾塊,來墊墊肚子羅。

LL: Thanks, Li Hua. That is really nice. But I'm so hungry, I'm afraid I'd snarf up your entire box of cookies.

LH: 都吃了也不要緊,我不在乎這盒餅乾,不過光吃餅乾可沒什麼營養。

LL: You are right, Li Hua. I really shouldn't snarf up all these cookies.

LH: 不如今天晚上咱們找個餐館,好好補一補,最近我一直在趕論文,也是忙得不可開交。

LL: I'd love to, Li Hua. But, honestly, I don't have enough time to go out with you for a nice relaxing dinner. The deadline for the project is tomorrow, and I have just enough time to snarf down something before I go back to work.

LH: 既然明天就是最後期限,你沒時間正經吃飯,那就更不能光啃餅乾了,而是應該吃點兒有營養的。這樣才能補充能量。

LL: Okay, I do have time to go to a fast food place.

LH: 拐角處就有一家麵條店,保證你二十分鐘就能回去上班。

LL: And snarfing down a bowl of noodles does sound better than snarfing down a box of cookies, Li Hua.

LH: 這家店的麵條還真好吃。

LL: Yeah, But now I'm feeling a little sleepy. I think I am going to need to take a power nap before I go back to work.

LH: A power nap? 我知道nap是午覺的意思,可power nap是什麼意思啊?

LL: A power nap is a short nap, maybe only fifteen to twenty minutes in length that people take in the middle of their work day to give them more energy, more power!

LH: 噢,就是15分鐘,20分鐘,打個盹兒的意思。你知道嗎,Larry, 在中國睡午覺是很普遍的。我們上學的時候中午都會睡上半個小時左右。

LL: Taking naps isn't as common in the U.S. as it is in China, but more and more Americans are taking power naps.

LH: 昨天晚上我看了一個節目,很有意思,裡面說美國人現在越來越忙,晚上睡眠時間不夠,所以白天需要take power naps,才能提高效率。

LL: Hey, I saw that report, too!

LH: 現在不少公司為了提高員工的工作效率,都在公司裡設立專門供員工睡午覺的地方。

LL: I wish my company had places like that for us to take power naps at work.

LH: 你還記得嗎,裡面說有一家公司,給員工準備了雞蛋形的午睡艙,還有舒緩的音樂,幫員工入睡。

LL: Yeah, I'd love to take a power nap in one of those.

LH: 但是打盹兒也要注意不能睡得太久。

LL: I guess that is true. If you end up sleeping too long, you can enter a deep sleep and wake up feeling drowsy and even sleepier than you did before you took you power nap.

LH: 好,到你公司了,你準備在哪兒小睡一會兒呢?

LL: Well, I think I will go back to work and take a power nap at my desk.

LH: Okay, Larry. 明天完成了手頭的項目,給我打電話。

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是 snarf, 是狼吞虎嚥的意思。另一個是 power nap, 是打盹兒的意思。

http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/eng/pa/download.asp?file=/chinese/s_pa/pa251.mp3

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-12-13 23:21 編輯 ]
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-12-13 08:14     標題: 250

Larry和李華開車到遊樂園去坐過山車。她今天要學兩個常用語,Oh boy和scaredy-cat。

LL: Oh, Boy! Isn't this amusement park great, Li Hua! I can't wait to take a ride on the roller coaster.

LH: Oh, Boy?我知道你早就盼著來這兒坐過山車。可你說oh boy是什麼意思啊?

LL: "Oh, Boy!" is a common American expression that really has nothing to do with boys at all.

LH: 那你剛才說Oh boy是什麼意思呢?

LL: When I said "Oh, Boy!" I was expressing that I was excited about coming to the park and that I was looking forward to the fun we are going to have today.

LH: 所以你說Oh boy是表示高興和興奮。

LL: That's right. Oh, Boy! Li Hua, look at that. There is someone selling cotton candy. I love cotton candy.

LH: 我從沒吃過棉花糖,好吃嗎?

LL: Oh, boy, is it ever! It is so light and sweet. I am sure you will love it.

LH: Oh boy! Larry, 你看,那邊有旋轉木馬。

LL: Well, let's take a ride on the carousel. It will be a lot of fun. But did you see the roller coaster, Li Hua? Oh, boy... (Nervous tone)

LH: 怎麼了?剛才你說oh boy, 好像不太高興。

LL: I just saw that the roller coaster flips you upside down, and I really don't like roller coasters that flip you upside down. Oh, boy...

LH: 可你剛才不是說oh boy是高興的意思嗎?

LL: Well, it all depends on your tone, Li Hua. If you say "Oh, Boy!" like this, it means you are happy. If you say "Oh, boy" like this, it means you are concerned or dismayed about something.

LH: 噢,我明白了。 Oh boy既可以指讓人高興的事,也可以指讓人擔心的事,完全取決於語氣。

LL: That's right, Li Hua. It all depends on how you say it.

LL: I can't believe I am so worried about riding this roller coaster. I am usually not this much of a scaredy-cat.

LH: 什麼是scaredy-cat? 聽起來好像是膽小鬼的意思。

LL: You are absolutely right, Li Hua. And right now, I am feeling like a big scaredy-cat about the roller coaster.

LH: 你現在什麼感覺?

LL: Well, right now, I have this tight feeling in my stomach, and I am shaking a little. See, look at how my hand is shaking.

LH: 我害怕的時候手也會抖,心裏還會砰砰地跳。

LL: What about you, Li Hua? I thought you told me once you didn't like riding roller coasters. Why aren't you acting like a scaredy-cat now?

LH: 我以前也不敢做過山車,後來咬著牙試了一次,發現根本不可怕,而且頭衝下的時候特別刺激。

LL: Okay. I'll try to be brave and ride the roller coaster with you. So, is there anything that makes you feel like a scaredy-cat, Li Hua?

LH: 說起來有點兒丟人。我最怕的是游泳。

LL: You are a scaredy-cat about swimming? Why is that, Li Hua?

LH: 因為我小時候沒機會學游泳,所以長大後,不僅不敢下水游泳,連坐船都會害怕。

LL: You know, my mother is a big scaredy-cat about flying on planes. She doesn't like the feeling of going up into the air.

LH: 我聽說很多人都害怕坐飛機,去什麼地方,寧可開車或是坐火車 去。

LL: My mom is like that. If she can she'd rather drive or take a train when she travels.

LH: 每個人都有自己害怕的事情。

LL: Well, I think people are scaredy-cats about things they think are dangerous.

LH: 你說得沒錯。不過如果什麼都怕,什麼都不敢嚐試,不是也很無聊嗎?

LL: Maybe so, but I am still feeling like a scaredy-cat about that roller coaster. Do I really have to go, Li Hua?

LH: Larry, 我保證你不會掉下來。So stop being a scaredy-cat, and let's go.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是oh boy, 用來表達高興或是擔心的情緒。另一個是scaredy-cat, 是膽小鬼的意思。

http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/eng/pa/download.asp?file=/chinese/s_pa/pa250.mp3

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-12-13 23:21 編輯 ]
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-12-13 08:16     標題: 流行美語 第249課

李華到Larry家借書,正好趕上Larry的朋友Dave打電話來 。她今天要學兩個常用語, fed up和off the hook。

LL: That was just Dave on the phone, Li Hua. He is really fed up right now.

LH: Dave給你打電話,就是告訴你他吃多了嗎?

LL: No, Li Hua. To be fed up is to run out of patience in a difficult situation and to become angry.

LH: 噢,fed up不是指吃多了,而是說受夠了。

LL: That's right. Dave has been having a bad day, and he has good reason to be fed up.

LH:他遇到什麼倒霉事了嗎?

LL: Well, Dave's car broke down on his way to work today, and he called a tow truck to come and get him. He's fed up, because he has been waiting for over an hour for the tow truck to arrive.

LH: 拖車一個多小時還沒到。換成我,也會fed up.

LL: And Dave is also fed up with his car. This is the third time in the last month that his car has broken down.

LH: 一個月壞三次。那可真得換車了,難怪他說自己受夠了。他給你打電話就是抱怨這些嗎?

LL: He was hoping that if the tow truck didn't come in the next few minutes I might be able to give him a ride to work. He doesn't want his boss to get too fed up with him.

LH: 噢,原來是求你送他去上班。一而再,再而三地因為車子拋錨而上班遲到,確實會引起老闆的懷疑。

LL: I don't think Dave's boss is completely fed up with him YET, but Dave doesn't want to take any chances.

LH: 那當然了。他好不容易才找到這份工作,因為這個被炒魷魚,太不值得了。

LL: Yeah. Personally, I'm a little fed up with Dave right now, too.

LH: Dave有什麼讓你受不了的呢?

LL: Well, every time Dave's car breaks down, he calls me to ask for a ride. I'm getting a little fed up with having to rearrange my schedule to keep helping Dave out.

LH: 確實有點兒煩。不過,他是你的朋友,大家應該互相幫助嘛!

LL: You are right, Li Hua. I shouldn't get fed up with Dave. (Phone rings) It's Dave on the phone.

LH: Dave打電話說什麼?

LL: He told me the tow truck finally arrived. It looks like I'm off the hook!

LH: Off the hook? 這種說法跟釣魚有關吧?

LL: Yes, it does, Li Hua. You know when you go fishing for fun, how you put a hook on the end of your line?

LH: 當然了,我還記得上次跟你老爸一起去釣魚,魚線最後面有一個鉤子,在上面掛上魚餌。

LL: And when a worm is off the hook, it is free. Just like I am now. I am off the hook, because I don't need to drive Dave to work after all.

LH: 所以,off the hook就是脫身的意思。你不用再開車送Dave去上班了,所以你說自己是off the hook.

LL: That's right. Say, speaking of obligations, don't you have a Chinese class you should be teaching right now?

LH: Oh, No. I am off the hook today, Larry. 今天學校放假,所以我不用去教中文課了!

LL: I forgot that today is a holiday. Unfortunately, I am NOT off the hook today. I need to go into work this afternoon to finish up a project I am working on.

LH: 那你就是on the hook嘍?

LL: Well, we don't really say someone is "on the hook" in English when we mean they have something they need to do.

LH: 所以說不用再去做一件事情是off the hook, 但是反過來,必須去做一件事情,則不能說on the hook.

LL: You've got it, Li Hua. Say, how about going to a movie tonight? Do you still have to write your paper for Professor Jones, or are you off the hook?

LH: 唉,I'm not off the hook. 我今天晚上必須得寫完那篇論文。我可不希望讓瓊斯教授 fed up with me.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是fed up, 意思是不耐煩,受夠了。另一個是off the hook, 是脫身,擺脫責任的意思。
http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/eng/pa/download.asp?file=/chinese/s_pa/pa249.mp3
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-12-13 23:20 編輯 ]
作者: HKonline    時間: 2008-12-13 08:23     標題: 248

李華到Larry家借書,正好趕上Larry的朋友Dave打電話來 。她今天要學兩個常用語, fed up和off the hook。

LL: That was just Dave on the phone, Li Hua. He is really fed up right now.

LH: Dave給你打電話,就是告訴你他吃多了嗎?

LL: No, Li Hua. To be fed up is to run out of patience in a difficult situation and to become angry.

LH: 噢,fed up不是指吃多了,而是說受夠了。

LL: That's right. Dave has been having a bad day, and he has good reason to be fed up.

LH:他遇到什麼倒霉事了嗎?

LL: Well, Dave's car broke down on his way to work today, and he called a tow truck to come and get him. He's fed up, because he has been waiting for over an hour for the tow truck to arrive.

LH: 拖車一個多小時還沒到。換成我,也會fed up.

LL: And Dave is also fed up with his car. This is the third time in the last month that his car has broken down.

LH: 一個月壞三次。那可真得換車了,難怪他說自己受夠了。他給你打電話就是抱怨這些嗎?

LL: He was hoping that if the tow truck didn't come in the next few minutes I might be able to give him a ride to work. He doesn't want his boss to get too fed up with him.

LH: 噢,原來是求你送他去上班。一而再,再而三地因為車子拋錨而上班遲到,確實會引起老闆的懷疑。

LL: I don't think Dave's boss is completely fed up with him YET, but Dave doesn't want to take any chances.

LH: 那當然了。他好不容易才找到這份工作,因為這個被炒魷魚,太不值得了。

LL: Yeah. Personally, I'm a little fed up with Dave right now, too.

LH: Dave有什麼讓你受不了的呢?

LL: Well, every time Dave's car breaks down, he calls me to ask for a ride. I'm getting a little fed up with having to rearrange my schedule to keep helping Dave out.

LH: 確實有點兒煩。不過,他是你的朋友,大家應該互相幫助嘛!

LL: You are right, Li Hua. I shouldn't get fed up with Dave. (Phone rings) It's Dave on the phone.

LH: Dave打電話說什麼?

LL: He told me the tow truck finally arrived. It looks like I'm off the hook!

LH: Off the hook? 這種說法跟釣魚有關吧?

LL: Yes, it does, Li Hua. You know when you go fishing for fun, how you put a hook on the end of your line?

LH: 當然了,我還記得上次跟你老爸一起去釣魚,魚線最後面有一個鉤子,在上面掛上魚餌。

LL: And when a worm is off the hook, it is free. Just like I am now. I am off the hook, because I don't need to drive Dave to work after all.

LH: 所以,off the hook就是脫身的意思。你不用再開車送Dave去上班了,所以你說自己是off the hook.

LL: That's right. Say, speaking of obligations, don't you have a Chinese class you should be teaching right now?

LH: Oh, No. I am off the hook today, Larry. 今天學校放假,所以我不用去教中文課了!

LL: I forgot that today is a holiday. Unfortunately, I am NOT off the hook today. I need to go into work this afternoon to finish up a project I am working on.

LH: 那你就是on the hook嘍?

李華剛買了一台筆記本電腦。她今天要學兩個常用語,bells and Whistles和savvy。

LL: So, you got a new laptop computer, Li Hua? Wow! It has all the bells and whistles, doesn't it?

LH: Bells and whistles?我怎麼沒看見這台電腦上有什麼鈴鐺和哨子啊。

LL: Oh, What I meant was that your lap top has a lot of special features and extras that ordinary lap tops don't have.

LH: 噢,我知道了,你剛才說的bells and whistles是指電腦上的DVD播放器和超寬屏幕等額外的功能。

LL: Yeah, that is right. Manufacturers like to put lots of bells and whistles on lap tops to entice people to buy them.

LH:沒錯,我就是衝著這些bells and whistles才買這台電腦的。你看,上面還有無線調製解調器和一個超大儲存量的硬盤呢!

LL: When I bought a lap top computer last year, Li Hua, I did NOT get one with all the bells and whistles, and now I kind of regret it.

LH: 是啊,這些bells and whistles確實要多花點兒錢,可我覺得還是值得的。

LL: I suppose I can always add some bells and whistles to my basic lap top. I would like to have a bigger hard drive.

LH: 我聽說加個硬盤並不難,我覺得你真的可以在你的電腦上加點兒bells and whistles.

LL: Although sometimes it is possible to have too many bells and whistles!

LH: Bells and whistles還會嫌太多嗎?

LL: Well, I was thinking of the cell phone I bought recently. It definitely came with all the bells and whistles. So many bells and whistles, in fact, I don't even know everything it does!

LH: 你是說手機啊。我也有同感。現在的手機功能越來越多,很多我都用不著,也不知道該怎麼用。

LL: But some people really like to have all the bells and whistles. Like my Dad. The last time he went shopping for a new car, it had to have all the bells and whistles.

LH: 車上能有些什麼bells and whistles?

LL: He wanted a car with leather seats that heated themselves and had a built in global positioning system.

LH: 能加熱的皮座椅,全球定位系統,看來車上也能有不少的bells and whistles.

LH: Larry, 你能幫我把這些軟件裝到電腦上嗎?

LL: I am happy to help you load your software on your new lap top, Li Hua. You know I'm tech savvy.

LH: Tech Savvy? 我知道tech是technology科技的意思,那savvy呢?

LL: Savvy means to understand something very well.

LH: 所以你說自己tech savvy, 就是說你對電腦和高科技的東西很在行嘍?

LL: That's right. I've always been interested in computers, and as a result I am fairly tech savvy.

LH: 那太好了。我可一點兒也不tech savvy. 我就知道怎麼用電腦寫論文,發電子郵件,除此之外就一竅不通了。Larry, 除了高科技以外,還有什麼東西可以說savvy嗎?

LL: Oh, sure, Li Hua. We often say that some one who dresses well and has good fashion sense is fashion savvy.

LH: 噢,fashion savvy就是很跟得上服裝的潮流。那我可以說fashion savvy吧。

LL: Oh, you definitely have fashion savvy, Li Hua. You always dress very stylishly.

LH: 這肯定是我祖母的遺傳。我看過她的照片,穿得可漂亮了。She definitely had fashion savvy.

LL: A person can also have street savvy.

LH: Street savvy? 你是說會認路嗎?或者是有方向感?

LL: No, no. A person with street savvy knows how people act in the city and how to be safe in parts of the city that might be a little rough.

LH: 噢,street savvy是說街頭的生存能力,特別是能在那些比較亂的街區不惹麻煩。看來,tech savvy和street savvy我都學不來,有fashion savvy就行了。

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是bells and whistles, 意思是附加的功能或是點綴品。另一個是savvy, 是指在什麼方面很在行。

http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/eng/pa/download.asp?file=/chinese/s_pa/pa248.mp3
(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

作者: tamtaidd    時間: 2009-1-31 07:53

good i love it
作者: legendbird    時間: 2009-2-3 00:52

作者: eejones    時間: 2009-5-31 00:55

這裡真的事好地方
我覺得檔案會對我有很大的幫住
感恩勒
作者: kuen850927    時間: 2009-6-14 01:11

THANKS A LOT!!!!!
作者: c_yuen    時間: 2009-7-29 01:18

THANKS!!!
作者: lt1190    時間: 2009-9-4 03:15

作者: joanstai123    時間: 2010-1-22 10:15

GOOD!!
作者: u773046    時間: 2010-2-7 02:39

thank for your help
作者: happyrc    時間: 2010-2-13 21:53

Thank you !
作者: superandrew    時間: 2010-6-8 08:24

非常好的學習mp3, 又可以學英文, 又可以學普通話, 謝謝
作者: raymondpo    時間: 2010-7-31 05:32

aaaaasdfsafdsadf
作者: bgrhdhsvsql    時間: 2010-8-26 09:43

太感謝了, 這真是個好東西, 謝啦
作者: offman    時間: 2010-11-22 08:26

thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
作者: d243    時間: 2011-10-30 09:56

Take a look of it

歡迎光臨 www.forum4hk.com 一個香港只得一個支持言論自由香港論壇討論區 (http://forum4hk.com/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0