38 1234
發新話題
打印

流行美語-學習美語 普通話 Mp3 下載

流行美語-學習美語 普通話 Mp3 下載

流行美語 第272課

Larry跟李華一起去逛商店。李華今天要學兩個常用語,burn a hole in one's pocket和burned.

LL: Wow, Li Hua - check out this new flat-screen TV! Too bad it's so expensive!

LH: 是啊,現在物價這麼貴,美元又一個勁兒貶值,真不知道還有什麼人願意買這麼貴的電視。

LL: You're right, Li Hua. Spending money on things like that can really burn a hole in your pocket.

LH: 什麼?把我的口袋燒個洞!這可太危險了。你說It can burn a hole in my pocket肯定還有別的意思吧?

LL: You guessed it! The phrase means that an item or expenses such as bills consume a lot of a person's earnings.

LH: 那跟在口袋裡燒個洞有什麼關係呢?

LL: Since money is traditionally carried in our pockets, the saying 'burn a hole in your pocket' symbolizes such high expenses.

LH: 要這麼說,living in the big city can burn a hole in your pocket. 除了電視,還有房租、電費和食物,光是日常花銷就能在「我的口袋裡燒個大洞」。

LL: Well said, Li Hua! If you have the same salary but move to a more expensive city, the daily cost of living can burn a much bigger hole in your pocket than before.

LH: 這就是為什麼花錢要有計劃,不能想買什麼買什麼,否則肯定入不敷出。

LL: Gas prices have climbed to new highs. I only drive to work twice a week to save money, because it was really beginning to burn a serious hole in my pocket.

LH: 最近油價確實貴得嚇人,還好我坐地鐵上班,既省錢又環保。

LL: There are so many things that can potentially burn a hole in your pocket. Expensive habits can really hurt you, which is why I'm glad that I quit smoking.

LH: 是啊,你戒煙一年省的錢夠加好幾箱油的!

LL: Soaring gas prices and cigarette taxes were burning such a big hole in my pocket that I basically gave up driving and smoking!

LH: 你知道還有什麼花銷最多嗎?

LL: Let' me guess. Going out to eat!

LH: 沒錯!跟朋友、同事、家人出去吃飯也是一筆不小的開銷。

LH: 說起現在的開銷。我前兩天出去看房子,才發現這裡的房價原來這麼貴!

LL: It really is! Didn't you want to continue renting?

LH: 我本來也是要繼續租公寓住的,可是,說來話長。

LL: What happened? Did you get burned?

LH: Get burned? 被燒傷?

LL: 'Getting burned' is when you commit to something or personally invest in something with your emotions or money and you basically get nothing in return.

LH: 噢,getting burned是吃虧的意思啊。那真讓你說著了。我跟另外兩個人一起簽了約,結果她們最後一刻反悔了。

LL: Did you put down a deposit?

LH: 我交了兩個月的租金,其中一半是押金,結果因為違約,押金沒要回來? I definitely got burned!

LL: That's terrible! Did the two other roommates have another option, or did they end up getting burned, too?

LH: 那兩個人的押金也沒要回來。但是她們決定一起到另外一個地方去租房子,起碼她們還有個伴兒。

LL: So, they kind of burned themselves on violating the terms of the contract, but you were burned worse because what happened was a result of their actions and not yours.

LH: 沒錯。她們自己反悔,押金被扣還說得過去,我可是被她們連累的。

LL: It sounds like you know what 'getting burned' means. Now the next step is ensuring that it doesn't happen again! Did you learn any lessons from getting burned?

LH: 要說教訓,那就是,下次一定不能輕信別人。這就是為什麼我在四處看房子,我準備咬咬牙,自己買個公寓。

LL: Well, it looks like you've got it figured out. Hopefully you won't burn a hole in your pocket for a price.

LH: (Laughing) 聽上來真滑稽。我為了下次不再吃虧上當,寧可準備傾囊而出,自己花錢去買個公寓。

LL: I know. You will probably end up burning a hole in your pocket so that you don't get burned again. How ironic!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是burn a hole in one's pocket, 指價格昂貴。另一個是 burned, 指吃虧上當。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-9-19 02:08 編輯 ]

Larry跟李華一起吃中飯,他發現李華心情很糟糕。李華今天要學兩個常用語,glum和chum.

LL: Hey, Li Hua. You haven't eaten any of your food. Why so glum?

LH: 如果你說的glum, 是沮喪的意思,那沒錯,我這兩天心情確實很糟糕。

LL: Yes, glum means sad. So, what's wrong?

LH: 我上星期去面試,本來以為那家公司肯定會要我,結果他們卻選擇了別人,害得我這兩天一點兒食慾也沒有。 Glum可以用來形容我現在的情況嗎?

LL: Yes, but I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. We use the word 'glum' when we are sad and disappointed about something, but not something extremely serious, such as a death in the family.

LH: 我知道了,glum是用來形容情緒低落或是失望,但如果是特別嚴重的事情,就不能用glum了。這兩天煩心事太多,老天爺也不幫忙,連著這麼多天的陰雨天氣。

LL: Don't worry - this will all pass eventually. Everybody gets glum at times.

LH: 你呢Larry? 有什麼事會讓你心煩意亂嗎?

LL: Well, rainy days can definitely have an effect on me, but I'd have to say that beating the gloominess is more important than what makes me feel glum.

LH: 要想換個好心情可沒那麼容易,有人吃東西會感覺好起來,可是食物對我不起作用。

LL: Well, a lot of times, people resort to things or people they can count on when they're glum. For instance, I take a walk and listen to my favorite music, but I do this on my own. Others prefer to confide in friends and family.

LH: 我就是;我往往會向朋友傾訴,或是看電視轉移一下注意力,不過你說的出去走走,聽聽音樂好像也不錯,而且還可以鍛練身體。

LL: That's true! I never thought of that! Maybe I should run and listen to music the next time I'm glum.

LH: (Laughing)只要能讓心情好起來就行!跟你說說我感覺好多了,胃口也好起來了。不好,這飯菜都涼了,我得讓他們幫我熱熱。(To waiter) Excuse me - do you mind heating this up for me? Thanks!

LH: 我以前聽別人說,"Why so glum, chum." 就是問別人為什麼看上去心情很不好的意思吧?

LL: Oh yes! We use that when we are asking a friend, 'hey, what's wrong.' 'Chum' means 'friend' or 'buddy,' especially when one male is speaking to another male. It's very informal.

LH: 哦,一般是男孩子之間說的,chum就是哥們兒,兄弟的意思。

LL: We say it this way because it rhymes, and it's intended to cheer people up!

LH: Why so glum, chum. 確實押韻。你知道嗎Larry, 我真的很喜歡這次沒有被錄用的那份工作,我事先準備了好幾個小時呢。

LL: So tell me what went wrong. Maybe if we talk about it you won't be so glum.

LH: 我當時特別緊張,可能是話太多了。我到得很準時,還帶去了自己的簡歷和推薦信,現在回想起來,可能是顯得太想得到那份工作了。

LL: Were you friendly with the people who were interviewing you? Were you all 'chummy' with them?

LH: 我跟他們很客氣。你說的"chummy"是拉近乎的意思嗎?

LL: Yes. It depends. Some interviewers like that, and others don't. A lot of it can depend on personality.

LH: 那Larry, 我們一起吃午飯,你幫我排解鬱悶的心情,那咱們倆兒算不算是"acting chummy"呢?

LL: Good question. Since we are already friends, our friendliness comes naturally. Being 'chummy' is somewhat artificial, because it's between two people who don't know each other that well. So, we're not being 'chummy.'

LH: 所以說chummy是指本來不熟的人,好像顯得關係很好,那用在咱們這種老朋友的身上,就不合適了。

LL: That's right. So, did you act chummy with the interviewer?

LH: 要這麼說,我跟面試的人還真沒有acting chummy. 我沒有像老朋友那樣,把自己的事情告訴他。Actually, he looked quite glum.

LL: It's a good thing you didn't say, 'why so glum, chum?' I don't think that would have helped you get the job!

LH: (Laughing)沒錯!你可真厲害,Larry, 被你這麼一說,我的胃口馬上就好起來了。我真得好好謝謝你!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是glum, 指情緒低落。另一個是chum, 指好朋友。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-9-19 02:10 編輯 ]

李華告訴Larry說,情人節那天,她班上的一個男生收到了很多女孩子送的花。李華今天要學兩個常用語,heartthrob和gaga.

LL: So, this student walked into your classroom on Valentine's Day and THREE different girls gave him flowers? He must be the campus heartthrob.

LH: 如果你說的heartthrob, 是指讓人迷戀的對象,那沒錯,他可以校園名人,學校裡喜歡他的女孩子一大堆。

LL: A heartthrob is a male that is adored by women. Someone who is a heartthrob, literally makes women's hearts throb.

LH: 這種說法真形象!讓人心跳的男人就是heartthrob. 送花的那三個女生迷他迷得不行,我真擔心會影響到她們的成績。

LL: What makes this heartthrob so attractive to these girls? Is he handsome? Is he friendly? Is he a good student? Is he an athlete?

LH: 他確實各方面都很出眾,不僅長得一表人才,而且很隨和、學習成績優秀,而且還是校隊橄欖球隊的隊長。

LL: Well, it is no wonder he is such a heart throb. He sounds like the perfect guy.

LH: 差不多吧。不過還是不如布拉德.皮特完美。Brad Pitt is a real heart throb.

LL: You are not the first woman who has told me Brad Pitt is the perfect man. I guess I don't understand why he is such a heart throb.

LH: 這有什麼難理解的。(Dreamily)你看他那金髮碧眼,他的微笑能讓人溶化,還有他的身材和肌肉....

LL: Okay, okay. That's enough, Li Hua. I get it! I understand why Brad Pitt is such a heartthrob.

LH: 對不起,Larry,一提起Brad Pitt,我就無法控制自己。

LL: So, Brad Pitt is a big heartthrob in America. How about in China? Who is the biggest Chinese heart throb?

LH: 那可能要算香港的電影影星劉德華了。

LL: I have heard of Andy Lau. Isn't he too old to be a heart throb?

LH: 年輕的也有,不過我已經趕不少潮流了。

LL: Well, it must be hard to be a heartthrob with girls following you everywhere. I'm glad I don't have that problem. I mean, I'm not much of a heartthrob.

LH: 肯定有什麼女孩子為你心動的,你不知道罷了。

LL: So, let's talk about these girls in your class some more, Li Hua. When they go gaga over this heart throb in class, what do you do to get their attention?

LH: Gaga是什麼意思?聽起來不像英文啊?

LL: Gaga is, in fact, a French world borrowed into English, Li Hua. "Gaga" is a word that suggests some one who is mentally confused or silly.

LH: 我班上那幾個女孩子可都是好學生,她們的腦子可沒問題。

LL: "To *go* gaga" means to like something so much that you act like an idiot. It means you can't think of anything else besides the thing you are "gaga" over.

LH: 噢,to go gaga是被弄得暈頭轉向的意思。要是這麼說,I guess the girls do go gaga over him.

LL: What about the boy students in your class? Is there a girl in class that they go gaga over?

LH: 我們班上倒是沒有什麼特別招人的女生,但是學校裡所有男生都圍著啦啦隊的女孩子們轉。

LL: Well, cheerleaders are usually very attractive and physically fit. It's no wonder guys go gaga for cheer leaders.

LH: 那你呢,Larry? 有什麼人讓你暈頭轉向的嗎?

LL: Well, Li Hua, I'm not really dating any one right now, so there is no one I am really gaga over, but there is something I'm really gaga for.

LH: 什麼東西讓你gaga for?

LL: I'm really gaga for computers. I think working with computers is so interesting, and I love playing computer games.

LH: 我對電腦可沒興趣。每天坐在電腦前面寫論文,我恨不得離電腦遠遠的。

LL: Well, what do you go gaga over, Li Hua?

LH: 我呀,喜歡看八卦雜誌,瞭解像Brad Pitt這些明星的最新動向。

LL: We're back to Brad Pitt again?! Fine. You can go gaga over Brad Pitt, Li Hua. I'll stick with my computer.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是heartthrob, 指讓人心動的男人。另一個是gaga, 指被什麼人或是什麼事弄得暈頭轉向。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

第269課

李華告訴Larry說,經常有學生上課時間用手機。李華今天要學兩個常用語,texting和txt tlk.

LL: So, Li Hua, your students won't stop using their cell phones in class? That is so rude! It is really impolite to be texting when you professor is giving a lecture.

LH: 你說的texting想必就是text messaging發短信的意思吧?

LL: Yes, Li Hua, texting is short for text messaging. And have to say I think it is rude for students to text in class.

LH: 我也覺得在課堂上發短信是對老師的不尊重,所以我今天宣佈,上課時間手機一律要關機。

LL: That's a good class policy, Li Hua. I hope your students show you some respect and stop texting in class.

LH: 我也希望他們上課不要再發短信了。可是我那些學生好像隨時隨地都在發短信。

LL: Yeah, a lot of young people do. I read a news report the other day that several states in the U.S. are thinking of banning teens from texting while driving a car.

LH: 什麼?有些高中生開車的時候都在發短信?太危險了!

LL: I know. I can't believe it myself. I can't imagine holding on to the steering wheel with one hand and texting with the other.

LH: 一手握著方向盤,一手發短信,還要注意周圍的路況。這簡直不可能。

LL: I agree. Texting while driving is a bad idea. Actually, Li Hua, I don't text very often, do you?

LH: 我有時會跟中國的朋友發短信聯絡,因為他們覺得這樣可以練習英語。

LL: Texting to practice English is a great idea! But as for me, I'd rather call my friends and talk to them than text them.

LH: 我覺得這跟年紀有關。我媽就從來不發短信,我雖然有時發,但跟我的學生比,可差遠了。

LL: That's true. Say, how have your students reacted to your new "No Texting" policy?

LH: 他們有點不高興,但也知道上課發短信是不對的。

LL: So, Li Hua, what will you do if you catch someone texting in class now?

LH: 這簡單。被抓住上課發短信的,手機一律沒收,下課來取。

LL: Whoa! I bet no one will be texting in your class again, Li Hua.

LL: So, Li Hua, since you text to your friends in China, have you learned about text talk?

LH: 我也是剛知道text talk是怎麼回事的。簡而言之,text talk是一種特殊的短信語言,為了提高打字速度,對一些詞進行簡化。

LL: Right! Text talk is a language, and it has its own set of rules.

LH: 我的學生都是這方面的專家,我從他們那兒學到了不少text talk的規則.

LL: Really, Li Hua? Maybe you can teach me about text talk. As you know, I don't text very often.

LH: 首先,打字的時候儘可能把元音字母省略掉。

LL: Like Text Talk is shortened to TXT TLK.

LH: 沒錯。把 Text, t-e-x-t中間的e省掉,變成t-x-t; 再把 talk, t-a-l-k中間的a省掉,變成t-l-k.

LL: But even with the missing letters, you can still understand text talk, because your brain fills them in.

LH: 對啊,看習慣了就好了。我最喜歡的是用數字替代字母。

LL: Can you give me an example, Li Hua?

LH: 比如說,打see you later一會兒見的時候,later, l-a-t-e-r, 就可以打成L-8-R,發音非常相近。

LL: L-8-R for "later" is very clever. I bet the "See You" part is also shortened in text talk.

LH: 沒錯。一般發短信的時候,see you可以簡寫為字母c加上字母u, 發音完全一樣,也是C-U.

LL: Mm, see you later, C-U L-8-R. Text talk is so funny, Li Hua! It makes me want to laugh out loud.

LH: 你提醒我了,在text talk裡面,如果要寫laugh out loud, 可以用三個首寫字母L-O-L來表達。

LL: So, if I text L-O-L, my friend will know that I find something so funny it makes me want to laugh out loud?

LH: 沒錯。L-O-L在短信裡,就代表laugh out loud, 意思是看到了非常好笑的事情。哎呀,說得高興忘了時間,I've got to go. C-U L-8-R! See you later, Larry!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是texting, 指發短信。另一個是txt tlk, 是短信語言中使用縮略語。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

第268課

Larry 和李華一起看奧斯卡頒獎典禮。李華今天要學兩個常用語,Glitz和Fashion Risk.

LL: Wow! I just love watching the Oscar Awards show, Li Hua. There is nothing quite as wonderful as the glitz of Hollywood.

LH: 我也特別喜歡看奧斯卡。不過Larry, 你剛才說glitz of Hollywood, glitz是什麼意思啊?

LL: Glitz generally refers to a spectacular visual display of glamour and wealth.

LH: 我每年看奧斯卡,最喜歡的就是看那些電影明星都穿些什麼式樣的晚禮服,戴什麼首飾。所以說,glitz就是光彩照人、讓人眼花繚亂的意思。

LL: Most of the glitz of the Oscars Award Show is what the actors and actresses are wearing. People enjoy deciding which stars at the Oscars are the best dressed, and which are the worst.

LH: Larry, 那你覺得今年誰穿得最漂亮,誰又穿得最難看呢?

LL: Well, I haven't really decided yet, because we haven't finished watching the show. But I would have to say what Nicole Kidman is wearing is just too glitzy for my tastes.

LH: Glitzy 肯定是從glitz來的。 妮可.基德曼Nicole Kidman穿的是一條很高雅、線條很簡單的黑裙子,怎麼會過於奢華呢?

LL: Well, it isn't Nicole Kidman's dress that is so glitzy, it is the *huge* diamond necklace that she is wearing with it.

LH: 這我同意。她戴的鑽石項鏈確實太醒目了。不過,這是好萊塢盛會,本來就是如此奢華的。

LL: Sure, but sometimes I think there is too much glitz! What about you, Li Hua? Who did you think is the best dressed?

LH: 那當然是喬治.克魯尼George Clooney嘍!不過,男明星跟女明星比起來,可就遜色多了。

LL: The female stars really get to put on the glitz with their colorful gowns in different styles and their jewelry.

(Music)

LH: Larry, 你看,這是今年我最喜歡的電影主題曲,真希望這首歌能贏。

LL: I liked this song, too. Wow, they didn't cut back on the glitz for this musical number. Look at all the dancers and the special lighting effects.

LH: 太棒了!I love the glitz of Hollywood!

LL: Well, I am glad you are enjoying it, Li Hua, because the Oscars Award Show is very, very long. I think we still have at least three more hours of glitz!

LL: So, now the Oscars are almost over. Which star do you think took the biggest fashion risk tonight, Li Hua?

LH: Fashion risk? 時尚冒險?哦,我知道了,你是說哪個明星穿著大膽,冒著可能不被別人接受的風險,對吧?

LL: Yes, that's right, Li Hua. A fashion risk is when someone wears something bold and dramatic, hoping that the people will think it is very stylish.

LH: 如果這種大膽嚐試不符合觀眾和媒體的口味呢?

LL: If a star wears something unfashionable tonight at the Oscar Awards Show, it will be in all the newspapers and all over the Internet tomorrow.

LH: 我覺得,在《漢娜.蒙塔娜》裡演主角的小明星麥莉.賽勒斯的穿著最有可能引起爭論。你覺得呢?

LL: I'll agree it was a bit of a fashion risk for someone so young to wear such a bright red dress, but I don't think she was the biggest fashion-risk taker at the Oscars tonight.

LH: 那你覺得是誰呢?

LL: I can't remember her name. But - you can't forget the dress she wore, the one with the leopard print design. Now that's taking a fashion risk!

LH: 我也記得那條像豹子斑點的裙子。雖然有些別出心裁,但她穿上去挺好看的,不知道時裝評論家明天會怎麼說。

LL: Well, I don't see how the critics could like that dress. But then again, what do I know? I'm not much of a fashion risk-taker myself.

LH: 對啊,你每天就是襯衫和休閒褲,從來也不換換花樣。

LL: That's right. The biggest fashion risk I take is when I decide that I am going to wear a striped shirt instead of a plain one!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是Glitz, 指光彩照人,讓人眼花繚亂。另一個是 fashion risk, 指穿著大膽,挑戰時尚。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

流行美语 第267课

Larry和李華正在談論李華的一個學生。這個學生經常在李華辦公時間去找她問問題,下課也喜歡多待一會兒再走。李華今天要學兩個常用語,puppy's Love和teacher's Pet.

LL: So, Li Hua, you say this student of yours always comes to your office hours and stays after class to talk with you? It sounds like your student has a case of puppy love to me!

LH: Puppy love? 小狗跟我的學生有什麼關係呢?

LL: As you know, Li Hua, puppies are very loyal and will follow their masters anywhere. We say a younger person who idolizes an older person has a case of puppy love.

LH: 噢,puppy Love是指年輕人的暗戀。照你這麼說,我這個學生對我可能還真有puppy love. 我該怎麼處理呢?

LL: Puppy love is usually harmless, Li Hua. I think as long as you remain professional, your student will eventually grow out of his puppy love.

LH: 你是說我要裝做沒有察覺,等他自己放棄這段感情?你還挺懂行的。Have you ever had a case of puppy love?

LL: Sure, I have, Li Hua. Puppy love is pretty common. I had a French teacher in high school who I really liked a lot. I stayed after class for extra help and was active in the French Club so I could spend more time with her.

LH: 我真難想像你會下課不走問問題,甚至還去參加法語俱樂部,就是為了接近你的法語老師。她知道你暗戀她嗎?

LL: I wouldn't be surprised if she did know. I probably wasn't the first student she had with a case of puppy love.

LH: 後來呢?

LL: She just treated me like all the other students. She was friendly and pleasant and didn't call attention to my behavior. Eventually, I grew out of my puppy love.

LH: 所以說,她對你跟其他學生一樣,假裝沒有看出你的感情。這個老師處理得還真是不錯。

LL: Yes, she did, and I really respect her for it now that I am older. What about you, Li Hua? Have you ever had a case of puppy love?

LH: 現在提起來,我也曾經有過一段puppy love.

LL: Really, Li Hua? Who were you in puppy love with?

LH: 我上學的時候私下裡喜歡美術老師。他年輕瀟灑,充滿了創造力。不過跟你一樣,I grew out of my puppy love when I got older.

LL: And I am sure your student will grow out of his puppy love, too.

LH: 謝謝你,Larry, 現在我知道該怎麼對待那個學生了。

LL: So, I have a question for you, Li Hua. Do you have a teacher's pet?

LH: 寵物?Larry, 你知道我養貓啊。

LL: Right, you do have a cat, Li Hua, but a teacher's pet is something a little different. A teacher's pet is her favorite student.

LH: 哦,a teacher's pet是說我最喜歡的學生。Hmm....我有好幾個不錯的學生,但沒有一個最喜歡的。

LL: I can't believe you don't have a teacher's pet, Li Hua. Surely, there is one student who is better than the rest.

LH: 倒是有個叫John的學生,成績一直是A,上課很積極,如果要說teacher's pet, 那恐怕就是他了。

LL: So, John is your teacher's pet. You said he is helpful in class - that is so typical of a teacher's pet. What kinds of things does he do?

LH: 他經常主動幫我收、發作業,有時候還幫我擦黑板。

LL: Oh, Li Hua, John is absolutely your teacher's pet! You better be careful. The other students may realize it and come to resent John.

LH: 你是說其他學生如果發現John是teacher's pet, 就會妒忌他嗎?

LL: That's right. I never was a teacher's pet myself, but I did know other students who were teacher's pets.

LH: 那你對那些同學有什麼看法呢?

LL: I was jealous of them and the attention they received from the teacher, and I found them annoying. I bet you were a teacher's pet, Li Hua.

LH: 你怎麼知道的!我絕對是teacher's pet, 老師可喜歡我了。

LL: So, I just have one more question for you, Li Hua. Is John, your teacher's pet, the same student who has a case of puppy love for you?

LH: 不是。暗戀我的學生不是John, 你別瞎猜!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是puppy Love, 指年輕人的暗戀。另一個是teacher's pet, 指老師最喜歡的學生。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

美式足球超級杯那天,Larry要在家開party, 李華幫他做準備。李華今天要學兩個常用語,munchies和spread.

LL: I'm really excited about having a Super Bowl party, Li Hua. I just went to the store and bought lots of munchies, so we will have plenty to eat while we watch the football game.

LH: Munchies? 讓我看看?(翻塑料袋的聲音)。薯條、花生、開心果,I don't see anything called "munchies."

LL: Munchies is a general word for snacks or things to "munch" on, Li Hua. When watching a football game, I love to eat munchies like chips and pretzels.

LH: 噢,原來munchies是零食的意思!有不鹹的嗎?

LL: Yes, Li Hua, I do. In the refrigerator, I have some other munchies that I've prepared. I also made a vegetable tray and some sour cream dip.

LH: Wow, 你準備了這麼多東西! 看超級杯原來這麼重要啊!

LL: Watching the Super Bowl is something many Americans look forward to all year. And part of the fun is inviting friends over to watch the game and share some munchies.

LH: 這跟中國球迷看足球世界盃差不多。他們也是圍著電視機,邊吃邊看,熱鬧極了。

LL: Every body loves munchies. Speaking of munchies, are you hungry, Li Hua?

LH: 我確實有點兒餓了,不過我不想把這些零食打開,我們還是等客人都到了再說吧!

LL: Oh, don't worry about it, Li Hua. There are plenty of munchies. Go ahead and open what you like.

LH: 那好,我先吃點花生,我最愛吃花生了。

LL: I've got a bad case of the munchies, too, Li Hua. But instead of peanuts, I think I'll munch on some potato chips.

LH: A *case* of the munchies? 你拿的明明是一帶零食啊!

LL: When I said I have a case of the munchies, I meant I was really hungry for snacks.

LH: Well, I guess I have a case of the munchies, too, Larry. 這些花生真是太好吃了。

LL: The trouble with munchies is that once you start eating them - it is hard to stop.

LH: 那我們還是忍忍吧,可別把這些零食都吃完了,否則一會兒看球賽的時候就沒的吃了。

LL: Thanks for helping me put out the food, Li Hua. I hope this is enough of a spread for the Super Bowl party.

LH: Enough of a spread? 這又是什麼意思啊?你是說足夠大家吃的吧?

LL: A spread does refer to food, Li Hua - and specifically food set out on a table for a party. And the goal is to have lots of food!

LH: 你準備的可真夠豐盛的,That's quite a spread, Larry. 你看,有薯條、花生、開心果、蔬菜、飲料、啤酒,真是應有盡有。

LL: Well, when one puts together a spread, Li Hua, you not only want there to be lots of food, but you also want the spread to look good.

LH: 所以說,spread不光是要準備充足的食物,還要擺放得整齊好看,讓人看了賞心悅目?

LL: That's right. Like for this spread, I put the snacks in nice bowls, arranged the vegetables so they look attractive, and got these festive football napkins and cups.

LH: 太棒了,Larry。我知道,你這一桌子食物,從盤子到紙杯,到餐巾紙,都跟橄欖球有關,最適合超級杯的party了.

LL: Thanks, Li Hua. I'm glad you like it.

LH: Larry, 你準備這一桌子東西要花很多錢嗎?

LL: This spread wasn't very expensive. But I have been to parties where the hosts clearly spent a lot of money on gourmet foods and expensive wines.

LH: 我還記得去年到市中心的一家大飯店去參加春節聯歡活動。They had quite a spread!

LL: I bet it was some spread. You know how much I like Chinese food.

LH: 那明年咱們一起去,你可以親眼看看!

LL: While the spread I put together isn't as fancy as that, I just hope my friends will enjoy it.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是munchies, 是零食的意思。另一個是spread, 指豐盛的食物。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

Larry開車接李華去看醫生,路上堵車遲到了。李華今天要學兩個常用語,meltdown和make up.

LL: I'm really sorry I am late, Li Hua. But there is no need for you to have a meltdown about it.

LH: (生氣地)如果meltdown是生氣的意思,那沒錯,I am having a meltdown.

LL: (Sheepishly) Well, Li Hua, perhaps now isn't the best time for an English lesson, but a meltdown is an excessively emotional response to a disappointment or a crisis.

LH: (還是有點生氣)meltdown是融化的意思,跟遇到挫敗或是危機,情緒過分激動有什麼關係呢?

LL: Well, the term meltdown refers to the melting of the core of a nuclear reactor. When that happens, the nuclear reactor becomes unstable and may explode.

LH: 噢,原來是從核反應堆來的。Well, I guess I did have a meltdown. 你今天遲到,我確實很生氣。

LL: I must say, it is very unlike you to have a meltdown. You are usually so calm and understanding.

LH: 我生氣可是有理由的。你遲到了不是一會兒,而是整整半個小時。看來我去看醫生也要遲到了。

LL: I understand why you had a meltdown, Li Hua. But honestly, there is nothing I could do about it. You know how unpredictable the traffic is in New York City.

LH: 也是,我剛才太急了,沒有給你解釋的機會。你在路上遇到什麼狀況了嗎?

LL: Well, there was a car accident that blocked traffic for a long time. It wasn't very serious accident, but when the two drivers got out of their cars, there was a total meltdown in communication.

LH: 你為什麼說這兩個司機之間發生了total meltdown呢?

LL: Well, one driver was really angry. He was all red in the face and was yelling loudly. I could tell he was having a meltdown.

LH: 啊,臉紅脖子粗的大吵大鬧,真是夠嚇人的。那另外一個司機呢?他們倆沒打起來吧?

LL: The other driver ended up having a meltdown, too - but in a different way. When the first driver started yelling at her, she started to cry.

LH: 原來還是個女的,真可憐。警察來了嗎?

LL: By the time the police arrived, the two drivers had recovered from their meltdowns and were calm. The police officers were very professional.

LH: 還好最後得到了圓滿解決,最重要的是沒有人受傷。對不起,Larry,我剛才不問青紅皂白就對你大發脾氣。

LL: Don't worry about it, Li Hua. Everyone has a meltdown every once in a while.

LL: Well, after that meltdown, don't you think it is time for you and me to make up, Li Hua?

LH: Make up? 吵完架為什麼要化妝呢?

LL: No, no. To "Make Up" means to get back to being friends after a fight.

LH: 我已經向你道歉,你也接受了,這就等於是和好了吧?

LL: Yes, I think we have made up. We are still friends, right, Li Hua?

LH: 我們當然是朋友,你也知道,我不會真跟你生氣的。I am glad we've made up. 真希望Janet也能跟她的男朋友Tom和好。他們上星期吵架,到現在都不說話。Janet痛苦極了。

LL: Well, sometimes it is hard to make up with some one - especially when the argument is over something serious or someone is really stubborn and won't listen to the other person.

LH: Janet倒並不固執,她很想跟Tom和好,可是Tom好像沒有和好的意思。他們是因為Tom跟另外一個女孩子很接近才吵架的。

LL: Hmmm...Well, if Tom hasn't tried to make up with Janet in a week, maybe he is more interested in that other girl.

LH: Larry, 快別說了,我們還得趕去看醫生呢!

LL: Don't have another meltdown, Li Hua. I'll get you to the doctor's appointment. I think it was worth taking the time to make up and be friends again, don't you, Li Hua?

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是meltdown, 是情緒過分激動的意思。另一個是make up, 是和好的意思。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

李華週末來看Larry。李華今天要學兩個常用語,goof around和go halvsies.

LL: It sure is nice to see you, Li Hua. But, honestly I've got so many things I have to do right now. I've just goofed around all weekend and haven't gotten anything done.

LH: You goofed around? 這是什麼意思啊?

LL: To "goof around" means to not do the things you are supposed to do. And I really didn't do what I was supposed to this weekend.

LH: 噢,原來goof around是游手好閒,不務正業的意思。那你有什麼該做的事情沒有做呢?

LL: I was supposed to do my laundry, dust and vacuum my apartment, mop my kitchen floor, and clean my bathroom. But because I goofed around, I didn't do any of the cleaning I needed to do.

LH: 洗衣服、還要打掃房間、擦地板,這麼多事啊!那你這兩天都幹了些什麼呢?

LL: Instead of doing my housework, I watched movies on TV, talked to friends on the phone, and played computer games.

LH: You really did goof around. 又是看電影,又是打遊戲的。難道你父母沒有告訴過你,只有做完正事以後才能玩嗎?

LL: They certainly did, Li Hua. But after a full week of work, I really didn't feel like doing my house cleaning. In fact, I didn't want to do much else besides goof around.

LH: 這我能理解,大家週末都想好好放鬆一下,不過也不能整個週末都這樣無所事事啊。

LL: I know you are right, Li Hua. The weekend is really the only time I have to make sure my apartment is clean and that I have clean clothes.

LH: 現在可倒好,已經星期天晚上了,你明天上班有乾淨衣服穿嗎!

LL: Well, then I've goofed around enough! I really need to do my laundry, Li Hua. So if you don't mind, I am going to get to work.

LH: 我本來想和你出去看場電影,喝杯咖啡的,現在全泡湯了。

LL: Yeah, I am sorry, Li Hua. You shouldn't have to go home, because I goofed around.

LH: 這樣好了,我們商量商量,我可以幫你一起打掃房間。

LL: And then afterwards, we could still go for a cup of coffee.

LL: I have a proposal for you, Li Hua. How about we go halvsies on my housework?

LH: Go halvsies,那又是什麼意思啊?

LL: To "go halvsies" is to split something in half. In this case, I was hoping you could do half of my housework.

LH: 哎誰讓你是我朋友呢!我願意幫你干一半的家務。可是我們怎麼分擔呢?

LL: We can go halvsies by me doing the laundry and cleaning the bathroom, and you mopping the kitchen and doing the dusting and vacuuming.

LH: 等等,我得寫下來,免得你反悔。你說你負責洗衣服和打掃廁所,我負責拖廚房的地板和吸塵。這麼多事情,幹完肯定累死了。那我們到時候可以出去吃東西。

LL: Well, rather than go out to eat, let's go halvsies on ordering a pizza for delivery.

LH: 你是說咱倆各出一半的錢,點個比薩回來吃?好啊,我同意!

LL: Great! If we go halvsies on ordering a pizza for delivery right to the apartment, we will still have a lot of time. I'll call the pizza place. How many pizzas should I order?

LH: 我不是特別餓,點個大號的,就應該夠咱倆吃的了。

LL: Okay, then one pizza it is. I'll also order a bottle of soda, and we can go halvsies on that, too.

LH: 汽水?好啊,不過都是你的,我可不想喝。

LL: How about dessert? We can go halvsies on some cookies or a pie?

LH: 我有個更好的主意。與其吃餅乾,不如我們幹完活一起去吃冰激凌吧,也算是慰勞一下自己。

LL: Good idea! After we finish working, we can go halvsies on some ice cream.

LH: 我可沒說要跟你分,整個冰激凌都是我一個人的!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是goof around, 是消磨時間,不務正業的意思。另一個是go halvsies, 是一人一半的意思。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

李華在學校租了一塊花圃,讓Larry來幫忙。李華今天要學兩個常用語,get into和grubby.

LL: I think it is great that you have rented a garden plot, Li Hua, but I don't think I can really get into gardening.

LH: You don't think you can "get into" gardening, Larry? 相信我,一點都不難,你只要跟我一起去,進了花圃就行了。Then you will be in the garden.

LL: Well, I may be in the garden, but that doesn't mean I'll get into gardening. To "get into" something means to really like something or to enjoy doing something.

LH: 噢,原來你說的get into是喜歡的意思。那你說you don't think you can get into gardening。意思就是說你不u會喜歡上園藝了?

LL: Right. I am sorry, Li Hua, because I know how much you get into gardening.

LH: 不過,你起碼應該試試看啊!

LL: Okay, Li Hua. I'll try it. Maybe I'll learn why you have gotten into gardening.

LH: 我喜歡園藝完全是因為我媽。我們小時候,她總是在家裏的院子裡種很多菜。

LL: That sounds nice. Fresh grown vegetables are so much better than the ones in the grocery store.

LH: 那你呢,Larry? What do you get into?

LL: Oh, you know me, Li Hua. I love computers. You know I really get into video games. I could play video games all day long.

LH: 我永遠搞不懂你為什麼那麼喜歡打電玩,我覺得打電玩很吵,而且打久了會很累。

LL: Well, every body gets into different things. You get into gardening, and I get into video games.

LH: 那也是。還有,我喜歡布魯斯,你喜歡搖滾樂。

LL: Yes, and while you can't understand how I can get into video games, Li Hua, I have never understood why you get into blues music. How can you listen to blues music? It just makes me sad.

LH: 我喜歡布魯斯的節奏和歌手的嗓音。但是我從來無法欣賞搖滾樂。簡直吵死了。

LL: I wonder if there is something we can both get into.

LH: 我有個主意。We can both "get into" the car, 到花圃去。

LL: "Get into" the car. Very funny, Li Hua!

(Outdoor sounds, Larry and Li Hua are at the garden)

LL: I should have brought some garden gloves. My hands are getting all grubby from digging in the dirt.

LH: Grubby? 我猜grubby肯定是髒的意思。你的手還真是夠髒的。

LL: Grubby does mean dirty. Li Hua, my hands are so grubby, I've got dirt under my fingernails. Yuck!

LH: 真沒想到你還挺愛乾淨。別忘了,園藝一半的樂趣就在於渾身上下沾滿泥土。

LL: Well, maybe you think so, Li Hua. I'm just glad I wore some grubby, old clothes. Look how grubby the knees of my pants are!

LH: 別抱怨了!在園圃裡幹活難免是要弄髒的。

LL: Okay, then I'll stop complaining about being grubby. But, doesn't it bother you, Li Hua?

LH: 不會啊,我喜歡這樣。Why don't you like getting grubby, Larry?

LL: I don't think it is that unusual that I don't like getting grubby, Li Hua. But I haven't always been this way.

LH: 你以前不是這樣?那你是什麼樣子呢?

LL: Oh, when I was a kid, I used to play outside all the time. I would come home grubby from head to toe!

LH: 從頭到腳都是土? 那你媽媽肯定不高興。

LL: No, after I came home from a day of playing outside, she would take me by my grubby little hand and take me straight to the bath tub.

LH: 好了,Larry. 今天就干到這吧,你看見那個工具房了嗎?

LL: Grubby old tool shed? Oh, yes, I see it.

LH: 你能幫我把這些工具和這個桶放到那裏收好嗎?

LL: Sure, not a problem, Li Hua!

LH: 謝謝你,Larry. I hope you didn't mind getting grubby too much.

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是get into, 是喜歡的意思。另一個是grubby, 是髒的意思。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

38 1234
發新話題