發新話題
打印

流行美語-學習美語 普通話 Mp3 下載

李華和Larry一起去附近一家新開的中國餐館吃自助餐。李華今天要學兩個常用語:yum和yuck.

LL: There is so much good food at this buffet, Li Hua. I can't wait to eat some of those spring rolls. Yum!

LH: 你說yum,那你肯定很喜歡吃春卷!因為我知道,yum在英語裡就是可口,好吃的意思。

LL: Hey, Li Hua, you are right! Where did you learn about the word "Yum"?

LH: 我前不久跟一幫美國朋友去吃pizza,其中一個人剛咬第一口,就大喊yum!他說自己最愛吃的東西就是pizza.

LL: Well, I really enjoy eating spring rolls - especially when they are fresh. And these spring rolls look especially tasty. What makes you say "Yum!", Li Hua?

LH: 我最愛吃的菜是魚香茄子,想想都會流口水。Yum!

LL: Well, I am afraid eggplant is not one of my favorites, Li Hua. I don't find eggplant dishes to be very yummy.

LH: Yummy肯定是從yum來的吧!

LL: Right! Yummy is used to describe a thing - Like yummy spring rolls or yummy eggplant.

LH: 所以yummy是形容詞,yum則是發感慨的時候說的。

LL: Speaking of being about to eat, let's take our plates over to the table and enjoy this yummy food.

LH: 對啊,我們得趕緊吃,吃完第一盤,馬上再回來拿,你看他們正在上龍蝦呢! Yum!

LL: But don't fill up too much, Li Hua. You'll want to save room for dessert. The almond cookies look especially yummy.

LH: 杏仁酥看起來確實比紅豆麵包好,那些紅豆麵包看起來好像不太新鮮的樣子。

LL: Well, I think most of the food here is yummy. What do you think, Li Hua?

LH: 跟其他中國餐館比,味道確實還不錯。

LL: But - is it as yummy as the food you used to eat back home in China?

LH: 這裡的飯菜當然沒辦法跟我媽做的飯比了!

LL: What's that on your plate, Li Hua? Is it a snake? Yuck!

LH: 我如果沒有理解錯的話,這個yuck一定是yum的反義詞吧?你覺得吃蛇肉很噁心嗎?

LL: Right again, Li Hua. Yuck is an exclamation of disgust. And I am sorry, but I find the idea of eating a snake disgusting.

LH: 我可不是故意要噁心你。不瞞你說,蛇肉可好吃了,而且在美國,你想吃到蛇肉可不容易。剛才你說yuck的樣子,突然間讓我想起了我第一次吃奶酪的感覺。

LL: Cheese? Cheese makes you say "Yuck!", Li Hua? What's wrong with cheese anyway?

LH: 中國人做飯不用奶酪,以前我在中國的時候也沒吃過。 可是美國人都很能吃奶酪。我到美國後,第一次吃奶酪的時候,簡直難以下嚥。 Yuck! 那種感覺,現在還記憶猶新。

LL: That is interesting. Actually, Li Hua, there are some kinds of cheese that I find pretty yucky, too.

LH: Yucky? Yucky肯定又是從yuck來的!就好像yummy是從yum來的一樣。

LL: Yucky is used to describe disgusting things. In this case, I was talking about disgusting cheeses. I find blue cheese to be especially yucky.

LH: 你也有不愛吃的奶酪?我是從來沒有嚐過blue cheese, 可是如果連你都覺得yucky的話,那我也就不用嚐了。

LL: I don't blame you, Li Hua. No one should have to eat something that yucky.

LH: Larry, 你拿的魚香茄子怎麼也沒吃啊?不好吃嗎?你不會覺得魚香茄子也yucky吧!

LL: I think I told you earlier, Li Hua, that I don't find eggplant to be very yummy. In fact, I do think it is pretty yucky.

LH: 既然覺得魚香茄子難吃,那你幹嘛還要拿呢?

LL: You told me fish fragrant eggplant was your favorite dish, Li Hua. So even though I think eggplant is yucky, I thought I should still try it.

LH: 這就證明,一個人覺得yummy的食物,換個人完全可能會覺得yucky. Larry, 我看你呀,還是去吃春卷吧!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是yum或yummy, 是指食物可口好吃的意思。另一個是yuck或yucky, 是指食物難吃,難以下嚥。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

Larry患了重感冒,李華帶著雞湯去看他。李華今天要學兩個常用語,blah和bounce back.

LL: Hi, Li Hua, it is so nice to see you. I just wish I didn't feel so blah.

LH: Blah? 你得的不是感冒嗎?

LL: I do have a cold, Li Hua. But "blah" is a word that describes how you feel when you have a cold or are sick - Blah is the feeling you have when you are really tired and have no energy.

LH: 我知道了,blah是不舒服,生病時渾身乏力的意思。

LL: That's right, Li Hua. I certainly wish I didn't feel so blah. I haven't been able to sleep very well with this runny nose and cough... (Cough, cough)

LH: 你好可憐。我知道睡不好覺的感覺。別說感冒了,就是平時,睡不好覺我都會覺得blah.

LL: Yeah, I've got a pretty good case of the blahs. I don't feel like doing much of anything.

LH: 我給你熬了點兒雞湯,或許你喝了會感覺好一些。

LL: Thanks, Li Hua. Mmmm...This soup is great, Li Hua. It has a lot of flavor - not like my mom's soup. Sometimes her soup can be a little blah.

LH: 你媽的湯怎麼會是blah? 我以為blah不是指渾身乏力嗎?

LL: You can also use blah to talk about a thing. When referring to a thing, blah means something that isn't very good or interesting.

LH: 你是說你媽熬的湯沒味啊。你沒當著她的面說過吧?

LL: Actually, I have. My mom's blah cooking is a joke in my family. My mom really doesn't like spicy food, so many dishes she cooks are very blah.

LH: 還好你沒覺得我的湯也是blah. 你現在感覺怎麼樣?

LL: I'm feeling a little less blah, thanks to you, Li Hua. So, how has your day been, anyway?

LH: 沒什麼新鮮的。外面又濕又冷,我一直在家裏批論文。I've been having a blah day.

LL: Say, have you had some of the soup you brought, Li Hua? It is just the thing to cheer you up when you are having a blah day!

LL: Now that I've had a nice bowl of hot soup, Li Hua, all I need to bounce back is a good night's sleep.

LH: 你要bounce back彈回來,那一定得有張蹦蹦床羅。

LL: Ha, ha. That's funny, Li Hua. While you can bounce on a trampoline, to "bounce back" means to recover from something. In this case, I am looking forward to bouncing back from this cold.

LH: 原來你說的bounce back是復原的意思。只要你多吃多睡,用不了多少時間,就會像原來一樣生龍活虎。

LL: I am expecting to bounce back in a day or two. Then I will head back to work.

LH: 幸好你只是感冒。你知道我的一個學生得了肺炎。

LL: Wow! One of your students has pneumonia? That is a pretty serious illness. It will take several weeks before he will be able to bounce back.

LH: 還有,我另外一個學生上星期剛剛割了闌尾。I don't expect he'll be bouncing back very quickly either.

LL: You are right. It takes more time to bounce back from surgery or an injury than it does from a little cold.

LH: 真希望生病不會影響到他們的成績。

LL: If they are good students and work hard, I am sure they will bounce right back from a few bad grades.

LH: 有時候,遇到讓人失望的事情也很難重新振作起來。

LL: That's true. It took my Uncle Bob a long time to bounce back from his divorce.

LH: 那你叔叔Bob離婚後是怎麼重新振作起來的呢?

LL: Well, he stayed very positive through the whole experience, and instead of thinking about the divorce, he put his energy into spending time with his children and doing things he enjoyed. That really helped him bounce back.

LH: 保持積極的態度、多跟家人在一起,做喜歡做的事情。Larry, 這些真是好建議。

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是blah, 指全身乏力或是沒滋沒味。另一個是bounce back, 指恢復過來。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

Larry和李華去朋友Frank家參加新年派對。李華今天要學兩個常用語,dead和happening.

LL: Gosh, there is hardly any one here, Li Hua. This party is really dead!

LH: Larry. 這裡每個人明明都活得好好的,你為什麼說the party is dead呢?

LL: Well, because there aren't very many people here, there isn't much conversation and laughter. When a party isn't lively, we say it is DEAD. And this party is dead.

LH: 噢,你是說這個party不熱鬧,了無生氣啊。現在時間還早,也許一會兒就熱鬧起來了。

LL: I hope so. Speaking of places being dead today, I went into work for a little bit to get some things from my desk. There was no one in the office - it was completely dead.

LH: 那當然了,今天是除夕,沒有什麼人會去辦公室的。

LL: I guess the college campus must be dead now, too.

LH: 不光是今天,期終考試結束後,學生們都回家過年了。The campus has been dead for two weeks.

LL: So, Li Hua, do you mind being on campus when it is dead like it is now?

LH: 確實有點孤單,不過人少也有人少的好處。比方說,圖書館裡就特別安靜。

LL: Oh, I bet the library is completely dead! I mean, who would be studying over the break?

LH: 我啊!不過你說的沒錯,校園裡確實沒有什麼人,可是停車特別方便。

LL: I know what you mean about the convenience. This year I made sure to do my Christmas shopping at a time when the shopping mall was really dead.

LH: 聖誕購物季節,商店裡到處都是人。I cannot imagine a mall being dead during the holidays.

LL: I went early on Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Since most people work during those times, it was pretty dead at the mall.

LH: 這倒是個好辦法,可以避開購物的人群,不用跟別人擠來擠去的。

LL: That's right, Li Hua. Hey, look, the party isn't so dead any more! Some more people have shown up, and the music has started.

LH: The party isn't dead at all. 你想去跳舞嗎?

LL: Sure, I'd love to dance, Li Hua. Now the party is really happening!

LH: 如果我沒猜錯得話,Happening是dead的反義詞吧?

LL: You are right, Li Hua. It is the opposite of a "dead" party. A happening party is one that is lively and exciting - and where lots of different things are happening.

LH: 是啊,這個party好像一下子就熱鬧起來了。

LL: Frank has done a good job. It is because of parties like this that I love the holidays. Christmas and New Year's are such happening times of the year.

LH: 就是啊,新年聖誕確實熱鬧,大家都跟親朋好友在一起,不過我也很喜歡春天和夏天。

LL: Why do you like spring and summer, Li Hua?

LH: 放春假和暑假我可以到外地去,visit some more happening places.

LL: I can't imagine a more happening place than New York City. I mean here in New York there is always something going on!

LH: 紐約確實很熱鬧,可是美國還有其他熱鬧的地方啊。

LL: I suppose that is true. I've heard San Francisco has a very happening art scene.

LH: 我就很想去舊金山看看。還有,我還特別喜歡美國的布魯斯音樂,所以很想到孟菲斯去。

LL: I don't know, Li Hua. I visited Memphis once, and I didn't think it was a very happening place. But then again, I am not a fan of Blues music.

LH: 貓王的雅園就在孟菲斯。我一直想去看看。我想,他當年在雅園一定開過很多熱鬧的派對。

LL: Elvis was famous for his wild parties. Look, the party is really happening now.

LH: Come on, Larry. 我們去跳舞吧,這麼熱鬧的party, 我可不想就站在這兒。Let's go have some fun!

LL: Okay, Li Hua! Now this is my idea of a happening time!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是dead, 指了無生氣。另一個是happening,指非常熱鬧。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

[ 本帖最後由 HKonline 於 2008-10-13 14:46 編輯 ]

李華在幫彼得森教授看孩子。她急著打電話給Larry求助。李華今天要學兩個常用語,pee and poo和handful.

LH: Hi, Larry, this is Li Hua. 你能告訴我pee and poo是什麼意思嗎?

LL: Sure, Li Hua, but first you have to tell me why you need to know what pee and poo means.

LH: 我今天幫彼得森教授看孩子。他一直跟我說I need to pee and poo, 可我又不懂是什麼意思。

LL: (Laughs) I remember Professor Jones' little boy - his name is Scottie, right? What Scottie is trying to tell you by saying he needs to pee and poo', Li Hua, is that he needs to go to the bathroom.

LH: 哦,原來Scottie是要上廁所啊!你等一下,我馬上帶他去。

LL: It's no problem, Li Hua. Scottie is only two years old, and he may need some help going pee and poo.

(Flushing sound)

LH: 好了!原來pee是上小號,poo是上大號的意思啊。沒想到,我今天跟個兩歲的小孩學了個新詞。

LL: Scottie is a very good teacher, isn't he? I have to tell you, Li Hua, dealing with pee and poo is one of the reasons I don't want to have children.

LH: 就因為小孩要pee and poo, 你就不想要小孩?等你有了自己的孩子,可能就不會嫌小孩子pee and poo噁心了。

LL: That may be so, but I think I'll just settle for a dog instead.

LH: 養狗?可是狗也要pee and poo啊。

LL: But a dog goes pee and poo outside. It seems a lot easier to deal with than changing diapers.

LH: 即使是在戶外,你不是也得把狗的poo收拾乾淨嗎?否則鄰居一定會對你有意見的。

LL: Then maybe I'll just have house plants. They don't pee or poo.

(Child's laughter and flushing sounds)

LL: It sounds like Scottie might be playing with the toilet, Li Hua. Boy, little Scottie is a real handful, isn't he?

LH: Scottie確實是在玩抽水馬桶。不過,他可不是一隻手就能抱起來的。他已經兩歲多了。我兩隻手抱他都費勁。

LL: By saying Scottie is a handful, I wasn't talking about his size. I meant that he was behaving in a way that is wild and hard to handle and that he is keeping you very busy.

LH: 噢,你是說Scottie調皮啊。哎,你再等一下,我得去制止Scottie. (To Scottie) Come on, Scottie, let go watch some cartoons. (To Larry) 好了,卡通片肯定能讓他安靜一會。

LL: So, has Scottie been a handful all day, Li Hua? It sounds like babysitting him has been a lot of work.

LH: 確實挺累的。不過兩歲的孩子可能都是handfuls, 他們剛學會走路,對什麼都好奇,但是又分不清對錯。

LL: So, you are saying you don't think Scottie is any more of a handful than any other two-year-old.

LH: That's right, Larry. 我敢打賭,你小的時候一定也很淘氣。

LL: Yeah, my mom tells all sorts of stories about how I was a real handful when I was little boy.

LH: 我能想像你小時候調皮的樣子。你都幹過什麼壞事啊?

LL: Well, my mom tells me that once I got out a box of crayons and drew a rainbow on the wall of our kitchen. Then there was the time I brought a frog with me into bed.

LH: 你用蠟筆在廚房的牆上畫彩虹?還把青蛙帶上床?You really were a handful, Larry.

LL: Okay, I've admitted I was a handful when I was a kid. Now, what about you Li Hua?

LH: 我?我媽說我小時候可乖了。I was never a handful.

LL: I should have known! (More children's laughter) Hey, what is the little handful doing now?

LH: Uh-oh! Scottie拿著廁所裡的手紙在客廳裡到處跑,現在滿地都是手紙。我得趕緊去收拾,不能跟你講電話了。

LL: Well, Li Hua, you better go and deal with Scottie. What a handful! Talk to you later!

天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是pee and poo, 指小孩子上廁所。另一個是handful, 是指小孩子很淘氣。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

李華告訴Larry說,她想多賺點錢,買機票回中國探親。李華今天要學兩個常用語:bread和nest egg.

LH: Larry, 我想回中國看看我父母。I need to make some more bread.

LL: You need to make more bread? I know you aren't a baker, Li Hua, so you must have learned that bread is slang for money.

LH: 沒錯。那天我聽一個朋友說,他要跟父母借點錢,因為he was short on bread,缺錢花了。

LL: Well, Li Hua, how about you? Can you borrow some bread from your parents for a plane ticket home?

LH: 去中國的機票可貴了,我父母可出不起機票錢。要想回家,我唯一的辦法就是再出去兼一份差。

LL: Well, with the Christmas holidays coming up, there will be many opportunities for you to earn some bread.

LH: 是啊,快過節了,很多商店都需要人手,找份活兒應該不難。

LL: I wouldn't think so, but if you do have trouble, I can always loan you some bread.

LH: 謝謝你,Larry. 但是不到迫不得已,我還是希望自己想辦法。

LL: Okay, I understand. So, Li Hua, have you thought about where you might want to work?

LH: 我想到百貨商店去打工,雖然那裏的工作沒太大的意思,但是I'd really only be doing it for the bread.

LL: I think a department store is a good choice for you. Who knows? You may even be able to pay for your plane ticket to China and save a little bread.

LH: 我也是這麼希望的。我教中文的工資實在是不多,總覺得錢不夠花。

LL: Well, I am very lucky to have my job at the architect's office. Right now, I am bringing in a good amount of bread.

LH: 你的錢都花在什麼地方呢?

LL: Well, I spend a lot on monthly expenses, but I also try to save some bread every month and, if possible, invest it.

LH: 投資?看來你還挺有經濟頭腦的,Larry.

LL: Saving is important, Li Hua. I am trying to build a nest egg so that I can buy a house some day.

LH: 你要建一個窩裡的蛋?(開玩笑地說)那你什麼時候變成小鳥啊?

LL: (Laughs) No, no, Li Hua. A "Nest Egg" is a term for money put away in reserve for some special purpose - like getting married, buying a house, or retiring.

LH: 窩裡的蛋怎麼會指為結婚買房子存的錢呢?

LL: Well, as I understand it, a "nest egg" was originally a fake egg placed in a nest to attract birds to lay more eggs. By putting aside money as a nest egg, you hope it will grow and make more money.

LH: 噢,我明白了,窩裡的蛋原來指的是假蛋,放在那裏騙家禽多生蛋的,用來指錢,就好像是中文裡說的錢生錢的意思,放在銀行定期存款裡就是個辦法。

LL: Yes, my parents have done this. But, they have also invested some of their nest egg in the stock market.

LH: 投資股市可有風險,我就聽說過很多老年人投資股市,結果賠得一乾二淨。

LL: It can be, but my parents aren't investing in the stock market on their own. They have an investment company that is helping them manage their nest egg.

LH: 那就好,等我開始在百貨商店打工了,I hope I'll have a nest egg, too.

LL: Well, I am building a nest egg to someday buy a house - What about you, Li Hua? What is your nest egg for?

LH: 我先得存點錢應急,萬一哪天車壞了或是生一場大病,手裡有錢心裏就踏實多了。

LL: That's a good plan. My older brother wants to build a nest egg for his children.

LH: Wait a minute, Larry. 你哥哥不是沒孩子嗎?

LL: You are right, Li Hua, but he has recently gotten married, and he and his wife want to have children. They will need to have a big nest egg for that!

LH: 是啊,養孩子真的需要很多錢,特別是大學學費,做父母的確實需要提前做好準備。

LL: Yes, they won't just need a chicken-sized nest egg - they'll need an ostrich-sized nest egg!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是bread, 指錢。另一個是nest egg, 是存下來的錢。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

Larry去李華家吃飯。他告訴李華說,自己今天特別倒霉。李華今天要學兩個常用語:nightmare和group hug.

LL: I had the worst day at work today. It was an absolute nightmare!

LH: 上班做惡夢?Larry, 你可要小心點兒,上班睡覺是要被老闆炒魷魚的!

LL: No, no. I didn't HAVE a nightmare at work...Being at work today was LIKE a nightmare.

LH: 噢,你是說今天上班很痛苦,就像是做了一場惡夢啊,聽起來挺嚇人的。

LL: It wasn't so much scary as it was unpleasant. Any situation that is really bad or unpleasant can be called a nightmare - even a really angry person can be a nightmare.

LH: 我知道了,nightmare是指令人不愉快的人或者事。那你今天上班出什麼事了?

LL: It all started with my boss. He is usually a nice guy, but today he was really angry with his staff - me, included. He was a total nightmare.

LH: 我記得你老闆人挺隨和的,今天怎麼會突然發脾氣呢?

LL: Well, he wasn't happy that we hadn't finished a project by the deadline. When he came into the office this morning, he told everyone we better have it finished by the end of the day - or he was going to become our worst nightmare!

LH: Your worst nightmare? Yikes! 你們不是一直都在趕著完成那個項目嗎?老闆這麼生氣,大家一定很沮喪吧?

LL: That is exactly what happened, Li Hua. After work, my day didn't get better. On my way over to your house, the traffic was a nightmare.

LH: 我也從新聞裡看到堵車的消息了。你今天可真夠倒霉的。我特別理解你現在的心情,還記得我博士生資格考試那天嗎?

LL: I do remember. As I recall that day was a total nightmare for you.

LH: 是呀,我當時論文打到一半,電腦突然死機了。What a nightmare.

LL: But the nightmare turned out okay in the end, didn't it?

LH: 我只好從頭再來。還好,我的論文最後還是得了優秀。

LL: Then maybe my nightmare will have a good ending, too.

LL: You know, Li Hua, when my co-workers and me were feeling down after the boss yelled at us, we had a "Group Hug" and all felt better.

LH: A "group hug"? 在辦公室裡集體擁抱?

LL: Well, I know it sounds kind of strange, but sometimes when a group of people or a team is down and they need to cheer themselves up they have a "group hug."

LH: 你的意思是,大家情緒低落的時候,group hug一下,感覺就會好起來?

LL: Well, after my boss left and everyone was feeling down, one of my co-workers said aloud, "Group Hug!" We all stood up, hugged in a circle one time, and then felt much better.

LH: 真有意思,group hug能讓你們提高工作效率嗎?

LL: It really did. The group hug reduced the tension, and we all were able to get back to working on the project.

LH: 我可以在我的中文課上試試看。中文很難學,所以學生們有時會因為進步慢而感到氣餒。

LL: A "group hug" could help lighten the mood in class, especially after a really hard test.

LH: Larry, group hug是怎麼做的呢?

LL: Well, usually someone says, "Group Hug" or "Let's have a group hug." Then the group forms a circle and each participant puts their arms over their neighbors' shoulders.

LH: 大家站成一圈,胳膊搭在旁邊人的肩膀上,是這樣嗎?那下次我發考卷的時候,如果學生們考得不好,我就可以說,不要灰心,Let's have a group hug.

LL: Yes, that's it! In my family, when my brothers and sisters would have an argument, my mom would say, ''Let's stop fighting and have a group hug.'' It was like magic - we'd all stop fighting.

LH: Larry, 我知道你今天情緒不好,但是我們兩個人不能說是group hug吧?

LL: No, you are right, Li Hua. To have a true group hug, you need three or more people. But I'd be happy with just a regular hug from you, Li Hua!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是nightmare, 是令人不愉快的人或事。另一個是 group hug,是集體擁抱。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

Larry和李華正在商量下個週末去哪裏玩兒。李華今天要學兩個常用語outdoorsy和artsy.

LL: Hey, Li Hua, do you remember how much fun we had camping in the woods? Wouldn't you like to do something outdoorsy again this weekend?

LH: Do something outdoorsy? 你是說戶外活動吧。

LL: That's right! But "doing something outdoorsy" doesn't just mean to do something outside, though. Playing basketball or badminton outside isn't really outdoorsy.

LH: 在戶外打球都不算outdoorsy, 那什麼才算呢?

LL: Well, outdoorsy activities - like fishing, hunting, hiking, camping and canoeing - are ones that you do in natural settings, such as in a forest or near a river.

LH: 哦,我知道了,就是一定要到野外才行,在公園裡和運動場上還算不上是outdoorsy.

LL: That's it. So - what do you say, do you want to do something outdoorsy this weekend, Li Hua?

LH: 上次去宿營確實挺開心的,咱們這次幹點兒什麼別?

LL: Well, you know me, Li Hua. I'm a very outdoorsy kind of guy. How about we go canoeing?

LH: 划獨木舟啊。聽起來挺過癮的,可我有點兒怕。

LL: Don't worry. I can teach you how to paddle a canoe. You don't have to be an outdoorsy person to learn how to do it.

LH: 可是獨木舟那麼窄,翻了怎麼辦啊,我可不會游泳。有沒有不那麼危險的野外活動呢?

LL: Oh, that is right. I forgot you can't swim very well. Okay...What other outdoorsy things might you like to do?

LH: 有了!我們到紐約州的山裡去遠足吧!

LL: Perfect. And I can borrow a backpack from one of my outdoorsy friends. That way we can bring food, water and other supplies we might need.

LH: Okay. 那我要做些什麼準備呢?

LL: In addition to a backpack, you are going to need a good pair of hiking boots. I know a place that specializes in all sorts of outdoorsy stuff. We can get the boots there.

LH: 好,那你陪我去買。也許你能把我改造成一個喜歡野外活動的人呢!

LL: I don't think buying hiking boots will turn you into an outdoorsy person, Li Hua. I think you are really more of an artsy person.

LH: Arsty...喜歡野外活動的人可以說outdoorsy, 那說一個人 arsty肯定是說她喜歡藝術嘍?

LL: Exactly! "Artsy" people enjoy appreciating and making all kinds of art - painting, drama and music.

LH: 那我就是個 arsty的人。我喜歡繪畫、音樂和裝飾。

LL: You are definitely artsy, Li Hua. I've always been impressed with your calligraphy.

LH: 哦,我小時候我學過很長時間的書法;我父母都喜歡藝術,對我學習繪畫和書法很支持。

LL: My family isn't very artsy. My parents were always interested in sports and really encouraged me and my brother and sister to get involved in athletic activities.

LH: 你姑姑呢?她看上去好像很arsty.

LL: Oh, Aunt Jane? You are right, Li Hua, she is VERY artsy. Aunt Jane is artsy in almost every way.

LH: 對呀,從她的服飾就能看得出來。

LL: Yes, and not only are her clothes artsy, but her entire house is artsy, too. She loves to decorate her rooms in very interesting ways.

LH: 我在中國有個朋友,也特別喜歡藝術,可是跟你姑姑不一樣。

LL: How so?

LH: 他穿得特別簡單,但是酷愛鋼琴,每天要花好幾個小時練琴。

LL: I guess there are many different kinds of artsy people. What they have in common is their love of art.

LH: 你呢,Larry, 要不跟我學書法吧,我保證把你變成一個喜歡藝術的人。

LL: That's a generous offer, Li Hua. But I'm afraid there is a reason why I am an outdoorsy person and not an artsy person! I'll leave the calligraphy to you!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語.一個是outdoorsy, 是喜歡野外活動的人.另一個是arsty,是喜歡藝術的人。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

Thank You@.@!

Larry和李華在紐約參加長跑比賽。李華今天要學兩個常用語,eat my dust和sore loser.

LL: It's a good thing you've been training for this race, Li Hua. But you are still going to eat my dust.

LH: Eat your dust? Yuck. 吃你的土?這是什麼意思啊!

LL: When someone says ''eat my dust," they are saying to their competitors in a race situation that they are confident they are going to win the race, leaving everyone else far behind.

LH: 贏比賽跟讓別人吃土又有什麼關係呢?

LL: Well, when you run, you kick up dust from the road. So, if I run very fast and you are behind me, you'll be getting my dust in your face - and eating my dust.

LH: 噢,我明白了,跑在前面的人掀起的塵土,會落在後麵人的臉上,原來是從這兒來的。不過,Larry, 我為今天的比賽已經訓練兩個多月了,也許你會eat my dust呢!

LL: But I've been running for years, and I've been in many races. And most of the time, the other runners end up eating my dust.

LH: 那也許你能像環法自行車大賽七連冠阿姆斯特朗一樣,讓其他人都ate his dust.

LL: Now that I think about it, Li Hua, I prefer to think of myself as the cheetah of the running world. As the fastest animal on land, all the other animals eat the cheetah's dust.

LH: 你還真自信!大話說出來,可千萬別落在別人後面噢。

LL: Actually, Li Hua. I am just joking. I'm not really the cheetah of the running world. There are so many runners in this race, I am pretty sure I will be eating someone else's dust.

LH: 輸贏並不重要,重在參與嘛!

LL: You are right, Li Hua. And since this is a race for charity, it doesn't matter if you eat my dust - or I eat yours. In the end, everybody wins.

LH: 對呀,比賽收益全都要用來幫助無家可歸的人。Okay, Larry. 準備好,你要eat my dust了!

LL: Whew! That was a great race. Even though I didn't place, I'm pretty happy about my overall time. I'm just disappointed by the guy who placed second - what a sore loser!

LH: Hmmm...得第二名的那個人好像特別不高興,又跺腳,又揮拳頭,嘴裡還罵罵咧咧的。你說,這就叫sore loser嗎?

LL: Yes, He clenched his fists and stomped around, saying things that weren't very nice. That is a sore loser!

LH: 在中文裡,我們說這種人輸不起。

LL: But I don't know why he was being such a sore loser, to place second out of the hundreds of people participating in the race should be something to celebrate.

LH: 就是啊。我要是得了第二名,一定樂死了。這種輸不起的人,讓所有人都覺得掃興。

LL: It's true. Do you remember when you were a kid, Li Hua - and you were playing a game? If one of the kids started acting like a sore loser, the game wasn't so fun anymore.

LH: 我當然記得。小孩子都不願意輸。我有個外甥,一輸就哭鼻子。

LL: Yeah, but most people grow up and become adults - and grow out of being sore losers.

LH: 但是有的人就是長不大,我就見過很多sore loser.

LL: That is true. I'm trying really hard not to be a sore loser myself.

LH: 你怎麼會是sore loser呢?

LL: Well, I am kind of embarrassed that you beat me in the race, Li Hua. Especially since I told you that you were going to eat my dust. But I am not going to be a sore loser - I'm proud of you and how well you did in the race.

LH: 噢,原來是因為這個。謝謝你,Larry, 我確實花了很多時間為這次比賽做準備。

LL: Say, maybe we should celebrate the outcome by racing over to the ice cream store for an ice cream cone!

LH: 好啊!但是你肯定會eat my dust, 你知道我一見冰激凌就沒命了。

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是eat my dust, 是輸給我的意思。另一個是sore loser, 是指輸不起的人。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

Larry和李華在咖啡店裡買咖啡。李華今天要學兩個常用語,newbie和been around.

LL: Wow, it seems to be taking a long time for this guy to get our coffee made. Maybe he is a newbie.

LH: A newbie? 你說他是新來的?

LL: Right. A newbie is someone that is new to a place, activity or organization.

LH: 你說得對,他肯定是新手,好像連咖啡機還用不好呢!

LL: It is like this new guy in my office. He just started work the day before yesterday. He doesn't know where anything is.

LH: 初來乍到是最困難的時候,Larry, 你一定要幫幫這個新同事。

LL: I have been helping him, and he's doing pretty well for a newbie. He is clearly very bright and has picked up on a lot of things very quickly.

LH: 我們的咖啡來了,我們找地兒坐吧。

LL: MMMmmm...It may have taken him a while to make the coffee, but the newbie did a good job. This coffee is great!

LH: 你看,有時候對新手就是要有耐心。我還記得剛開始教中文的時候,樣樣東西都要學。

LL: What did you find the most difficult about being a newbie Chinese teacher, Li Hua?

LH: 當初最讓我頭痛的就是安排課堂活動,我總是掌握不好各項活動的時間長短。

LL: Yeah, when I was a newbie, I remember having to learn where everything was in the office and who was responsible for which aspects of my job. . .Say, Li Hua, I want to show you something on my lap top.

(Takes out lap top)

LH: 是新的電腦遊戲嗎?

LL: Yes, it is a fantasy role-playing game where you pretend to be a warrior or a wizard and run around attacking people and collecting treasure. I've just started the game, so I am kind of a newbie.

LH: 這裡面好像還有其他人,他們也是newbies嗎?

LL: No, some people have been playing the game for a long time. Their characters are very experienced, and they have fun attacking and stealing treasure from the newbies.

LH: 那你肯定也是被這些老手欺負的對象嘍?我是不會玩電腦遊戲,也沒興趣。

LL: You should try it, Li Hua. It is a lot of fun to play computer games, and it gets more fun when you aren't a newbie any more.

LH: 還是算了吧,在電腦遊戲上面,我寧願做個newbie.

LL: Well, when it comes to computer games, I've been around - if you know what I mean, Li Hua.

LH: "Been around"? 我還真不知道這是什麼意思。

LL: "Been around" means to have lots of experience doing something. It is actually short for a longer expression...

LH: 我想起來了。說什麼人特別老道,就是"He has been around the block."

LL: That's right! We shorten it to ''been around,'' but it basically means the same thing.

LH: 所以你說自己''have been around.'' 就是說你打過很多電腦遊戲嘍?

LL: That's right. I started playing computer games when I was seven years old, and I still play computer games.

LH: 對了,Larry, 我一直想問你,聽說你妹妹有新男朋友了?

LL: Yes, she is dating a new guy. But I'm a little concerned. I think this guy has been around. He is much older than my sister.

LH: 有經驗不見得是壞事啊!

LL: Well, he has been around, but not in a good way. I think he has dated a lot of girls and may not be as serious about my sister as she is about him.

LH: 你是怕他不當真,讓你妹妹傷心吧。那你妹妹呢?她有沒有交過很多男朋友?

LL: No, not really. She is still very young. I wish she would wait until she has been around a bit before deciding she wants to get engaged to this guy.

LH: 別著急,Larry, 你妹妹絕頂聰明,她肯定能做出正確的選擇。你要相信她!

今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是newbie, 是新手的意思。另一個是been around, 是老手的意思。

(MP3下載)
本帖隱藏的內容需要回復才可以瀏覽

發新話題